Long Fires

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
In response to all the winter camping threads that have recently been posted, and just as a general bushcrafty post:

Myself and another BCUK member went out for a campfire the other day and tried out a "long fire"

We were amazed with the result, it was the most fuel efficient campfire I've ever seen by a very long way. I'm guessing it has something to do with the lack of airspace between the logs making the burn last longer, definitely going to make one of these next time I need an overnight fire. Also we didn't split the logs, this seemed to help with longevity too.

Would be interested to hear anyone else's experiences with different types of fire construction and suitability for different tasks.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I tend to make "long fire" style fires quite a lot. I'm waiting for the combination of time and proper cold to make some formal experiments with full size long fires and lean-to style shelters. Gonna get myself a min-max thermometer, or -- if I feel spendy -- a proper data logger to actualy find out what will happen.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE