Long fire lays

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
Quixoticgeek,

On the second video, the lean-to is much to high. It should be about 1' higher than your head while sitting, it will then take much less wood to heat (smaller area).
You can also line the back side angle with a E space blanket to act as a reflector, as a reflector oven. Works well.
Cover the front with a plastic sheet to enclose the whole front capturing the heat, (got this from Cody Lundin).

There will be enough air seepage to let you breathe from the sides.

tsitenha

Nomad
Dec 18, 2008
Kanata
No disrespect meant, or hijacking of thread but with a proper shelter your fire can be a lot smaller and use less fuel. I personally don't like stacked fires, just in case they roll out of my intended purpose, prefer to wake up and add wood every once in a while.
I'll be quiet now.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Quixoticgeek,

On the second video, the lean-to is much to high. It should be about 1' higher than your head while sitting, it will then take much less wood to heat (smaller area).
You can also line the back side angle with a E space blanket to act as a reflector, as a reflector oven. Works well.
Cover the front with a plastic sheet to enclose the whole front capturing the heat, (got this from Cody Lundin).

There will be enough air seepage to let you breathe from the sides.

It's not my shelter, I was just using the article as an example of the fire lay.

I don't believe Paul Kirtley is on this forum, but I'm sure he'd love to hear from you if you emailed him (details on his website), and I know he responds to questions on twitter (@pkirt).

No disrespect meant, or hijacking of thread but with a proper shelter your fire can be a lot smaller and use less fuel. I personally don't like stacked fires, just in case they roll out of my intended purpose, prefer to wake up and add wood every once in a while.
I'll be quiet now.

None taken.

J

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
There is no second link appearing for me? Mr Kirtley does visit here, but not often.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
In the first post there should be 2 links, one to a Finnish fire lay, and one to a page on Paul Kirtleys site.

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE