London finish?

Fly_Viking

Apr 15, 2012
Not where I want to be!
I found an old thread on here discussing using the London finish on a kuksa (currently on the lookout for a nice piece of wood to have my first go at making one). Could someone explain what the London finish is?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Some info here.

An old thread on it here, maybe the one you read?

Edit; just went through some old books, completely devoid of any info. Interested to find out some more about it, its a new one on me.

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I have done it to my axes, feels great in use:)

London stock finish vid from you tube

[video=youtube;9WR73Ni266M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WR73Ni266M[/video]

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I havent watched it, but i am guessing hes refering to warnings about leaving oil soaked clothes about, that they "COULD" catch fire, this wouldn't happen to your cup, IF your worried about the rags, soak any oil rags in water and just trow them on chippings bin, I have never had it happen to me so I PERSONALLY dont worry,

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Good work Southey ;)

I'm guessing that was some inspiration for the shave horse!

According to the poster, his version is just thinned boiled linseed.

I wouldnt use boiled linseed on anything foodsafe, its got some nasties in.

FWIW, as a decorator, if I'm coating anything in the kitchen with an oil finish, I go straight for the Liberon finishing oil. Its a proper foodsafe tung oil mixture that dries quickly and leaves a thick film if not wiped down. Its good for resisting heat and stains too.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Why not just sand it smooth, wet it then lightly sand with a higher grit, only lightly though then either leave or coat in raw linseed oil, or walnut oil from the super market, I use boiled linseed oil on my things for me, but that's me:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE