Log store

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I need to make a new log store and plan to make a simple design out of pallets. My old one finaly collapsed today as I suspected it would do. Anyway as I used to fill it with a few logs here and there as I scavenged them I was never realy sure of the amount it held. I plan to start my new log collection off with a dumpy bag full. I can't get hold of the supplier at present to ask this question (probably on hols over Xmas and new year)so I wondered if any of you fine gents know how much of a cord of wood a dumpy bag holds on average. Then I can size my new store accordingly. I don't have a massive storage area available and any logs that don't fit will be out in the elements. Even a rough guesstimate would help as I can do the volume math to make it the right size... (unless anyone else wants to do it for me). A friend is getting the pallets for me so we will be building in pallet widths ie one for floor one for back and two for sides. Roof is ply covered I plastic sacks for waterproofing and cheapness. Thanks in advance

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Thanks guys that's a real help. Math is not my strong point! But now I know the volume of a dumpy I can work out how big to build it. The pics help a lot. Great idea. Very grateful as I've been worrying that I would make it too small, and have logs left out in the rain. Thanks for the offer brock.... maybe you could post them ? :biggrin:

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I stack mine on old pallets then cover with a tarpaulin. This keep them off the wet ground and the rain off without inhibiting the circulation off air. Each pallet holds about a cubic metre. I buy mine by the small lorry load i.e. around three to four cubic metres.

Your use of the word math for mathematics rather than the usual English maths together with your reference to gents and cords leads me to suspect that you may be from North America. Or have I read too many Sherlock Holmes stories over Christmas?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
th

In Scandinavia we stack it as above. A roundel outside, loose bits inside. No covering, unless you make a roof above it with a large airgap.
Dry wood does not absorb water much, even if very rainy and wet, it will dry out indoors overnight.

Reactions: Cochise

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I stack mine on old pallets then cover with a tarpaulin. This keep them off the wet ground and the rain off without inhibiting the circulation off air. Each pallet holds about a cubic metre. I buy mine by the small lorry load i.e. around three to four cubic metres.

Your use of the word math for mathematics rather than the usual English maths together with your reference to gents and cords leads me to suspect that you may be from North America. Or have I read too many Sherlock Holmes stories over Christmas?

I'm English thru and thru. Tho my father had American accent my uncle canadian and best pal from florida so I guess I've picked up a few idioms in my speech. Often when younger was asked if I was American. I sound more west Country in real life! As for the word cord I used to work in small woodland reclamation in my more youthful days so I guess that it surprised you i knew a word like that in relation to wood. I often get the same reaction that I can talk about gudgeon pins and reaming etc when it comes to motorbikes. I'm truly an odd one as put me with a group of girls discussing nail polish and I turn off. Put me with a group of lads discussing woody type things or motorbikes and I'm a happy bunny.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
For true revelation about stacking wood have a look at the 'Norwegian Wood' book by Lars Mytting - wood chopping, stacking and drying turned into an art form :)
I've seen it contemplated buying it but my bookcase has overflowed as it is even before my Xmas supply of presents.... 5 more books this year alone . I don't know about a log store.... maybe another book case?

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Logs sold around here are sold by the cubic metre of cut and split wood. I do quite well because my burner is small so the logs settle with less gaps than larger logs.

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
In Scandinavia we stack it as above

I saw this when I was travelling in Sweden years ago and adopted the same practice when I got home. The only extra involved was a weighted tarpaulin on the top only, which I put on in the winter (wet) snow.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Make sure these is an airgap between the tarp and top most wood, for free airflow, or the wood can get mouldy, specially during the humid British winters!
You do not want to bring in mould home.

Reactions: GuestD

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Our freight pallets are 48" x 48" so building one to hold a cord would be quite simple.
I'd rather flip it over, cut a door and cover it with a tarp for an igloolik dog house for the winter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE