Lockdown garden camping.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
I'm hoping to camp in our wood on Friday and Saturday. It's only 50 yards from the house, but it'll give me an excuse to build a new shelter.

IMG_4031.JPG

I built a basic shelter with a view to making it more permanent. I think I'll swap the poncho for some plastic sheet and make walls on the north and west sides using wind-harvested logs. I've trimmed the ends off those poles, but left enough for a lantern to hang on the closer one.

Next thing is to make a fire pit that's safe for use in the woods.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
View attachment 58804

I built a basic shelter with a view to making it more permanent. I think I'll swap the poncho for some plastic sheet and make walls on the north and west sides using wind-harvested logs. I've trimmed the ends off those poles, but left enough for a lantern to hang on the closer one.

Next thing is to make a fire pit that's safe for use in the woods.

Looks good, wish I had a bit of woodland so close.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Well I pitched a solo tarp in the backyard as a sun shade when we were playing card games with our son. Three foam camping mats, we were comfortable and chilled out. We might not have a garden or grass but even a tarmac surfaced backyard can be made use of during this lockdown.

BTW I used a clothes line that I had previously modded try be easily coiled up and fixed to one of the support poles with a carabiner. This allowed me to run it through the ridge line loops. Then simply tie up the corners to the wall, gate, shed and other shed. It was about 5 foot high. BTW it's a small yard so the smallest tarp was used.

LukeR

May 9, 2020
Glasgow
I've done a few nights in my newly converted lavvu hot tent setup during this lockdown period. The view from the end of the garden isn't half bad. Still itching to get out and use this a little further from home, but for now I'm making the most of it.
9krovTg.jpg

Inside (with all the essentials!)
kWm8nzv.jpg

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Had several sleep outs up the back garden (nothing like the woods of JackRoadKill, above), swapping between the lavvu and dutch surplus tents as the mood takes. The camera trap has caught muntjac, badgers, foxes, and hedgehogs all dodging the pegs during the night!!

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
It looks like the setter had a few doubts ... they are fairly accommodating luckily.

Yeah, that's Geoff. He was just checking to see that I'd done a tidy job with the poncho.

OK, here comes the question: What all did you eat and drink on this outing?
I think that I'm fit enough to practice making camp foods.

I ate biscuits (before the badgers did) and drank tea. Nowt special.

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
1589825545435.jpeg

I did a bit of home improvement on the shelter today, in preparation for more nights out at the end of the week. I'd put the withy end in last week so today I put in diagonals on the frame (which did their job brilliantly; it's now much more solid and stable), replaced some of the bindings and wove some living greenery into the structure. Sorry for the cruddy picture - next time I'll take a better camera.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
La Belle needed an airing, last time we took it down after a heavy morning dew I worried it might be still a little bit damp. No mould at all thank goodness, just an incontinent pheasant splat to clean off one of the panels.

Had to be done, fire alight, books being read, and we’ve each got a Bonne Maman jam jar full of Malbec to drink. Lush.
:)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE