Loch Tay, Scotland

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Does anyone have any personal experience of wild camping at Loch Tay?
I'm interested in carparking places for a three night trip; good sites on the shore; and any relevant information.
Thanks
Alan

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I might be wrong here Alan but I think there is a road on each side of Tay. The south road is single track with lots of pull off points and laybys along the length. When I last drove down there last time there were lots of folk car camping along the shore.
I did notice a few burnt out motors up the top end towards the crannog centre though so maybe best avoided.

You'll probably get some better advice from the locals though ;)

EDIT:

Forget that about the burned cars, that was Loch Earn sorry

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Nearest Killin you can shore camp. Also the wee island at the Kenmore end is good. And on the northern shore, if you check the map there is an old shieling which is right on the shore.

Of course, is goes without saying that Reasonable and responsible camping is legal and should be discrete eg no large fires and fires on a shore near the water. Under the access code no probs but bear in mind it does not cover parking at all.

Nick

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The car park at Dalherb will look tempting, but the folks who live across the road will lock the gate at the stated time and since the locals are thoroughly fed up with the mess some of the fishermen make, they have been known to phone the police when folks camp overnight on the site too. It's Forestry Commission, no idea if that makes the byelaws different but it does say no camping :rolleyes: .
Anyone know ??
Many of the houses on the other side have gardens that run right down to the lochside, so technically these are curtiledge and excluded from the access.
Still lots of space around though. :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

East Coaster

Forager
Oct 21, 2008
Fife/Scotland
It's a beautiful area and well worth a visit.

I've paddled round the loch in my sea kayak, camping out one evening here

15.jpg

It's on the North shore about 1.5km past the wee island of Eilean nam Breaban.
There's a few houses north of the woods in this area so you may be able to park somewhere. Probably best to ask someone there if ok to do so.

There's another cracking site with this view about 1km along the shore from Milton Morenish (North West end of loch with boat hire and campsite so parking a possibility)

10.jpg

I know, I know, what's that big bannana doing there, spoiling the shot! (twas my first trip with her :eek: )

Plenty of options for you as others have said, so responsible camping anywhere within the access code is no problem.
Don't know if it's an option for you but there's canoe hire available on the loch. If your not experienced and the weathers good then sticking to the loch shore shouldn't present any problems for you and would make it a trip to remember!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE