Loch Lomond canoe trip

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Josh had offered to go up to Loch Lomond for a couple of days with the canoes, so on Saturday we agreed where to meet up ,and off we went.The put-in was at Aldochlay and we paddled around Inchtavannach and beyond on to the far side of Inchconnachan.The weather was very damp and misty but the water was flat ,we arrived at the spot about an hour before dark.In no time the hammocks and bivvi was set up and a fire on the go,we had a relaxing ,easy couple of days.We came across a fallen scots pine so the fire was really good ,the wood was full of resin and the smell was fantastic.we managed to paddle out the following day with the water being flat again ,the mist dissapeared just before we left,and there were no Wallabies to be seen.this was a great we trip for me at this time of year and i really enjoyed it , ive been stuggling for a long time with a torn rotator cuff ,so i was a bit weary of going somewhere i maybe could not manage,but it was fine ,i,m sore today but it was worth it ,cheers Josh.
Picture2172-1.jpg

Picture2164.jpg

Picture2173.jpg

Picture2167.jpg

Picture2159.jpg

Picture2157.jpg

Picture2153.jpg

Picture2175.jpg

Picture2161.jpg

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
They're great pictures. :D

Neither of us mentioned the squirrel, must have missed a step when it was a long way down, poor wee thing.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Looks like you both had a great time.

Big Swede and me burned a big lump of fatwood this weekend too. It certainly lights up the neighbourhood. I'll be forever grateful to Mistwalker for his tutorial.

Cheers, Michael.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
i was surprised how warm i was ,i had an underquilt ,hammock quilt and a sleeping bag.:D
i think for me it definately beats lying on the ground in this kind of weather.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hey, great pics! looks like you had a great time! bet it was freezing! just out of interest what hammocks do you have? the material looks a bit like canvas in the 4th picture, or is that just me?

I want to go on a canoe trip! :rant: haha

Cheers

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Hey, great pics! looks like you had a great time! bet it was freezing! just out of interest what hammocks do you have? the material looks a bit like canvas in the 4th picture, or is that just me?

I want to go on a canoe trip! :rant: haha

Cheers

The hammocks are really light,they are made from sort of parachute nylon,they were sold on group buys on the forums.The weather was not all that bad,i expected it to be a lot worse ,we had a good fire and a nice warm bed.:D

Leezo

On a new journey
May 5, 2008
GeordieLand
I was up there the other weekend and stayed on Inchcailloch. Was fantastic on the friday put peed it down all night. I'll have to get some pics up myself.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
In theory yes.....

....but - a couple of the islands have folk living on them, one has a hotel on it, another has a commercial campsite(there's smallprint in the access laws about land close to campsites) and one barely rises more than a couple of foot above the water level(and as a result is pretty soggy). A couple of the others are NTS owned SSSI, I don't know what the score is on them.

So in practice you have Inchconnachan, Clariinsh, Torrinch, Creinch, Inchlonaig and Island Ivow for wild camping. Then there are a bunch of little islands that mostly have restrictions due to bird nesting.

Coarse fishing is free and permit free. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE