Loch Ard shores - FC or not ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Does anyone know if the shores and surrounding areas of Loch Ard are FC owned, looking for somewhere new to explore in a couple of weeks.

We`ll be looking at a couple of nights in hammocks and I might even take my inflatable canoe for it`s first outing.

I know Andye and w00dsmoke have ahd a few nights up there.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
The forrested side that is the non inhabited side is without metalled roads just fire roads. But you can camp fine, just follow the Access Code, and discrete fires.

Although I would reccommend Loch Ard, for more than two days I would go for Loch Lomond as you have more options - more islands to explore, more fire wood, more peace and quiet etc.

Nick

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Yup, what nick said, although I'm not that keen on loch lomond. Loch chon is also worth a visit too and it's just along the road.

Cheers,

Alan

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Main thing up there is to buy a fishing permit if you plan on fishing and make sure you're not making a mess, I know you wouldn't anyway - the FC wardens come round infrequently and are friendly enough if you're open and friendly with them, they'll quite often stop for a bit of a chat. Both Ard and Chon are small Lochs but well worth a visit.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Parking - at the Community hall, the far end of the loch, at Kinlochard, is just a donation. I was there in Nov, so as far as I remember it's not overnight parking, but I'm sure if you contacted the comunity Council they would allow you too. This allows you to launch at a grassy beach 100ft from the car, then in 5 mins arrive at the island bothy. Take coal as there is only kindling. The bothy has a fire and if your lucky some longer bed covers. No sleeping paltforms like a normal mountainYou need a trowel to bury your human waste, as I'm sure you know. Plenty of hammock sites under huge pines.

The other parking is at the FC carpark. We had a trailer tyre slashed there in May.

I have overnighted a car at the hotel resort. Just asked at the reception.

Have a good trip, the best thing is it will be very quiet along there at this time of year as well as Lomond.

Nick

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Yeah, the hall with the donation box is good parking. You could stick a note through the hall letter box probably explaining the abandoned car.

The bothy smells funny!

The west shore of the wee bay to the east of the castle islands is good hammock territory. Walk south to the F.C. track for firewood. They've felled and left quite a lot along the edge of it.

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Was there today, see 'Out and About', the Bothy has been cleaned but people still toileting outside at the back though and not burying their waste. The non-rd side has a singletack MTB trail most of the way.

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE