Loch Ard Canoe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Before the rain, I squeezed in a few hours paddling. I checked out some group camp spots. this bit of the Loch, apart from the end through the Narrows that the river Forth flows from, is normally the calmest.

Secret Loch, quick swim to cool off here. Lots of Clegs out though.

2013-07-30 15.01.24-1 by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

These were out today, Lillies ?

2013-07-30 14.56.37

Middle of the shot shows the narrow gap back into the main Loch. I had headed this way, upwind, to sail home. Using my BIC Pop up sail.

2013-07-30 14.39.31 by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Mozzie net on the DD Travel Hammock kept the clegs (Horseflies) back but a few midges sneaked through. Need to source a big double bed sized midge net soon. Had a cuppa and read a book for a while, then big dark clouds came over so sailed home. Chips and Cheese and a cuppa in Aberfoyle finished off the day.

View from my Hammock of Loch Ard. mozzy net keeping horse flies"clegs", at bay. by Nick_Scots, on Flickr

Last edited:

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
I think I was eyeing up this spot a few weeks back albeit it from the other side. I had my mountain bike out for a jaunt along the trails and think I stopped just across to the right hand side of the view from your hammock.

How was the ground for pitching a tent, was it boggy?

20130706_133811.jpg

20130706_133721.jpg

I think this is roughly the spot
photo.jpg

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
I think I was eyeing up this spot a few weeks back albeit it from the other side. I had my mountain bike out for a jaunt along the trails and think I stopped just across to the right hand side of the view from your hammock.

How was the ground for pitching a tent, was it boggy?

Your spot is the other end of the Loch. I was way up in from the Island and Crannog. An old high tree with some dead branches just raised up a tad from the Loch and at the entrance to the secret Loch.o

Someone had camped there before at the other pictures of my canoe landed. A fire scar and a sportsdirect bag neatly filled with booze bottles !

Last edited:

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Many good camping spots around Loch Ard and Loch Chon. I keep going back to walk/ride the trails can't keep away from the area. Need to find time to spend more over night camps up there tho.

stu1979uk

Forager
Oct 22, 2006
glasgow
Thanks for sharing the photos - beautiful area.

Doesn't matter what time of year it always has something to offer. I have been there at -7oC with the loch frozen, the autum is beautiful with emmence colours on display or the middle of the summer in the blazing heat.
Talking myself into another wee trip here.
:)

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Someone had camped there before at the other pictures of my canoe landed. A fire scar and a sportsdirect bag neatly filled with booze bottles !

this fella??

P7270029_zpsaa988eda.jpg

I went to lift it on Saturday but there was a noxious liquid draining out the bottom, so I left it, it was minging! Saturday was a great day for it but as you say loads of cleggs

P7270034_zps4398caed.jpg

P7270019_zps1dbb1794.jpg

cheers,

alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE