Living as a wild camper in Scotland

LIONHEARTJH

Jul 20, 2015
On the road
I don't have a time set in mind to be honest. My plan was to just get out there and then when I feel I've had enough, find something new. I was also planning to move from Scotland after I feel I need a new buzz in another place, if you get me? But if I enjoy it up there then I would stay.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
I don't have a time set in mind to be honest. My plan was to just get out there and then when I feel I've had enough, find something new. I was also planning to move from Scotland after I feel I need a new buzz in another place, if you get me? But if I enjoy it up there then I would stay.
Try and get in doors over the winter months..ie, from October to April. Get's way too cold for a tent. The Dampness would be the biggest obstacle.

I had a friend who lasted a couple of years up near Mallaig. he lived in a tent on the beach at Morar for around 5 months until the end of Sept.

He then bought a small Caravan (£200 or so) from money he earned working in the fish mongers at Mallaig Harbour, he parked it up in someone's back garden..for a fee. He said it was still bloody cold. inside two sleeping bags and gas fire going cold.

Just be careful, always have a means of communication handy and best of luck buddy.

LIONHEARTJH

Jul 20, 2015
On the road
Try and get in doors over the winter months..ie, from October to April. Get's way too cold for a tent. The Dampness would be the biggest obstacle.

I had a friend who lasted a couple of years up near Mallaig. he lived in a tent on the beach at Morar for around 5 months until the end of Sept.

He then bought a small Caravan (£200 or so) from money he earned working in the fish mongers at Mallaig Harbour, he parked it up in someone's back garden..for a fee. He said it was still bloody cold. inside two sleeping bags and gas fire going cold.

Just be careful, always have a means of communication handy and best of luck buddy.

Thank you mate! I will try

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Bear in mind you can't legally camp more than 2 nights in one place and you can't camp within someones curtilage. You can't forage comercially. And the access code does not apply to parking or motorised access. Also, it doesn't cover you crossing land or a beach to fish. So crossing (responsibly) a field to access a beach to surf or swim in is covered but not to fish the sea. Although fishing in tne sea is legal.

So I would be careful/cautious long term camping as it would be illegal. Unless other folk no more.

LIONHEARTJH

Jul 20, 2015
On the road
Bear in mind you can't legally camp more than 2 nights in one place and you can't camp within someones curtilage. You can't forage comercially. And the access code does not apply to parking or motorised access. Also, it doesn't cover you crossing land or a beach to fish. So crossing (responsibly) a field to access a beach to surf or swim in is covered but not to fish the sea. Although fishing in tne sea is legal.

So I would be careful/cautious long term camping as it would be illegal. Unless other folk no more.

My plan wasn't to set up in one place anyway, I;ve read all the scottish access code etc, will also keep a copy with me. Also, I won't be foraging so in that aspect I guess i'm fine. In terms of motorised travel, I'll be on foot or if I do get a bike then that too.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
My plan wasn't to set up in one place anyway, I;ve read all the scottish access code etc, will also keep a copy with me. Also, I won't be foraging so in that aspect I guess i'm fine. In terms of motorised travel, I'll be on foot or if I do get a bike then that too.
Dont be shy in getting the thumb out..I use it with great success in the remoter places in Scotland...funny. never works at all in and around my town. maybe that's because all the idiots tend never to venture out the schemes here.

Enjoy Scotland mate. A beautiful country. the weather just adds to the adventure. know your limits and you'll do just fine. Get a Hostel membership. use local Libraries for communication purposes if you need to. and dont worry about forest fires in the blistering sunshine, the snow and sleet will put it out later in the day. Joke. Ha.

As i said..Best of Luck...I'm actually quite jealous i'm not fit enough mentally to have a crack at it myself.

Cheers S

LIONHEARTJH

Jul 20, 2015
On the road
Dont be shy in getting the thumb out..I use it with great success in the remoter places in Scotland...funny. never works at all in and around my town. maybe that's because all the idiots tend never to venture out the schemes here.

Enjoy Scotland mate. A beautiful country. the weather just adds to the adventure. know your limits and you'll do just fine. Get a Hostel membership. use local Libraries for communication purposes if you need to. and dont worry about forest fires in the blistering sunshine, the snow and sleet will put it out later in the day. Joke. Ha.

As i said..Best of Luck...I'm actually quite jealous i'm not fit enough mentally to have a crack at it myself.

Cheers S

Haha, I'm quite looking forward to the cold winter days, like you said, adds to the adventure.

Ha, that's funny, I don't intend on carrying a stove about so I will rely on fires a lot but I don't think I;m a pyromaniac so I should be ok ;)

Thanks mate... If you ever feel ready, send the smoke signal.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Haha, I'm quite looking forward to the cold winter days, like you said, adds to the adventure.

Ha, that's funny, I don't intend on carrying a stove about so I will rely on fires a lot but I don't think I;m a pyromaniac so I should be ok ;)

Thanks mate... If you ever feel ready, send the smoke signal.
I'm fit enough physically and know my way around, just not mentally tough enough for what you are about to do. I can last 2 weeks max. After that i just want the comforts again. dont mind meeting up at a certain location for a night or two though. keep in touch if you can spare the battery and phone/money time.

LIONHEARTJH

Jul 20, 2015
On the road
I'm fit enough physically and know my way around, just not mentally tough enough for what you are about to do. I can last 2 weeks max. After that i just want the comforts again. dont mind meeting up at a certain location for a night or two though. keep in touch if you can spare the battery and phone/money time.

Fair enough mate, I'll probably miss the comforts the first while being out there but I guess it would not phase me after a while. Definitely, I've got a bit more kit to get then I'm off so hopefully in the next few weeks. I could pass by for a few nights. I'm getting a new phone before I leave hopefully as my current (iPhone) is smashed and only allows incoming texts and calls, also doesn't connect or pickup any wifi signals.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE