Living as a wild camper in Scotland

LIONHEARTJH

Jul 20, 2015
On the road
Hey,

So I've decided that I am going to live in a tent up in Scotland due to the fact I will have the right to roam there rather than England. My plan is to set up camp in one location then move location the day after or maybe sleep in one location for 2 nights before moving depending on the circumstances. I will be living off food and supplies bought from shops/supermarkets etc, so I won't need to rely on a good patch of land.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows anyone or has lived like this themselves? Also, where would be some good locations to go wild camping?

This may sound stupid living on the road with a tent but It's something I've always wanted to do, and because I'm young I get to explore more.

Any advice is appreciated and any tips are grateful!

Thanks

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Two major things…midgies, and hunting seasons. Be aware of both, and get hold of a copy of the guide to the right of responsible access from SNH (I think you can download it as a pdf now, it used to come as a free handbook)
http://www.snh.gov.uk/land-and-sea/managing-recreation-and-access/access-rights/

There's also the issue of the local byelaws in areas that have been heavily trashed by cretins. Like the shore of Loch Lomond. Those take precedence over the access.

cheers,
Toddy

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
After Uni and after a couple of jobs that were really fun but not going anywhere I went for a walk, thinking to do the pennine way. Being young and stupid I went to fast too soon and got a bit knackered, after that I had a good think about what I was doing & if I was having fun or not. After that I took things a lot slower and my 2 week walk turned into a month and a half [ish] jaunt.

I had no interest in hunting and foraging to sustain me, I had money in the bank [more than I have now :(] and hunting for me involved tracking down a pub to have a meal and a few pints in, not particularly difficult on this island.

It was nice to duck into a hostel to get a shower and dry stuff - I think my local swimming pool allows you to go in to use just the showers.

It'll be getting cold relatively soon up here as the summer this year has been uttery pants.

Have fun, make sure people know where you are and where the nearest public transport will be and how long it'll take you to get there.

Talk nicely to the publican landlord, have a meal and a few pints and they'll more than likely let you kip in their garden

Last edited:

LIONHEARTJH

Jul 20, 2015
On the road
Which part of Scotland are you in? If you don't mind me asking...

Yeah, I won't be be foraging either, more just the case of collecting supplies as I pass by a town/village etc... So I'll plan ahead so I hopefully don't run short

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Good point about the weather. Right now Lanarkshire is verdant, lush with trees dripping with fruit (honestly, the local kids are so stuffed with cherries from the trees growing on all the grassy corners that they're a sticky mess, and the apples, and plums are still to come), etc., but it's so sodden wet that walking is a squelch and the thought of camping in it is not a pleasant one.

M

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
There's quite a nice site at the side of the A9 after Pitlochry. There's a guy been in a tent there for about 18 months!!! Has issues with his ex and the polis apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Which part of Scotland are you in? If you don't mind me asking...

Me, 50 miles NW of Aberdeen right on the coast, enjoying long days although it has been very windy this year.

If your travelling around I found it very good to have full sized maps, I know if you have a few they start to get heavy a bit like carrying round a small block of wood, but at least you know where you are and what is all around. I found it nice to look at the maps of an evening to find interesting things to visit.

How long do you plan to do this? Is there an aim or destination, even a loose one like cross from east to west, or reach a particular loch etc it's good to have something to aim for.

LIONHEARTJH

Jul 20, 2015
On the road
Me, 50 miles NW of Aberdeen right on the coast, enjoying long days although it has been very windy this year.

If your travelling around I found it very good to have full sized maps, I know if you have a few they start to get heavy a bit like carrying round a small block of wood, but at least you know where you are and what is all around. I found it nice to look at the maps of an evening to find interesting things to visit.

How long do you plan to do this? Is there an aim or destination, even a loose one like cross from east to west, or reach a particular loch etc it's good to have something to aim for.

I don't really have an aim to be honest... I guess if I did it would just be the fact that I get to travel and explore new things and earn a bit of cash

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How are you expecting to earn a bit of cash ? The berrying's started but they bring in teams from abroad now. Much of Scotland's tourist industry (and local hotels, etc., in rural areas) close for the late Autumn, Winter and very early Spring except in major towns. Fishing is busy with locals (and mind seasonality on rivers), shooting is seasonal and very much 'who you know', ski-ing isn't guaranteed and the operators require trained personel.

Just curious now.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Again…..seasonality, and locals already do the jobs.

It's more the necessity yet unplanned kind of thing that caught my attention re the 'earn a bit of cash'.

M

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
LIonheart, the Loch Lomond National Park Service employ seasonal Rangers in two batches during the summer. You might make the second one, have a look at their website. As Toddy points out, areas like this attract their fair share of cretins but if you camp more than 100m from the nearest parking spot you will be unlikely to meet them as they can only walk so far with their crates of tinnies and their boomboxes! You could also try looking for a job in Glasgow and 'commuting' from any number of quiet rural areas just a short train ride from the city centre. Good luck, T

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a big caravan park at Achnasheen. The locals run holiday homes. Perishing cold up that way in Winter right enough, and you really need your own transport to get around with any ease.
Beautiful pink beaches :) very peaceful a lot of the time.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE