Little Red book of Sloth

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jembly/Sloth

Dec 6, 2007
Appledore, Kent
Been getting back into all this 'Bushcraft' stuff. After spending my first 11 years almost entirely outside, I'm now returning to the fold. There seems to masses more books and such like around than ever I remember trying to buy on my £1 pocket money which got me thinking. Reading through a Ray Mears book I borrowed from the school libary, I couldn help but keep thinking, 'I learnt this back in the day through trial an error' etc... I also wanted to keep anotating the thing with my own experiences.

Anyways last week, the parent came home with a hardback A5 notebook she thought might be handy and suggested I made notes on everything I did for future reference. Started today putting stuff in no particular order with a very basic Index to go in the back so I can find the stuff. Been nicking bits from off here especially the older threads but was wondering if anyone else had done anything similar and has any advise to offer?
After all, I was always told survival was about not making the same mistake twice.

Ramble over...

Cheers, Jembly.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There was a thread on journals a while ago and some folks posted photos of theirs. Some of the notes and sketches were beautiful.
Mine becomes a rambling mix of things I've seen, recipes and herbal stuff, and sketches for costume :rolleyes: and dye notes.
I find it a pleasant diversion looking back and seeing how the seasons change and readign notes I've left for myself to remember to go look for something at a particular time of year.
Everyone's is different:cool: and relevant to the person making them.
It was an interesting thread; anyone else?

cheers,
Toddy

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I have a notebook that I have always taken out with me. It's permanently in the side mesh pocket of my main pack, along with a pencil or two.

So far I've yet to write anything in it, although there is a particularly nice doodle on the inside front cover :rolleyes:

The problem is I either never have it with me because it's in my main pack, or I forget it's there completely (my memory is terrible, hence the need for a notebook :lmao: ).

Organisation isn't one of my strong points :cool:

Jembly/Sloth

Dec 6, 2007
Appledore, Kent
Ah my Journal contains all sorts or random bilge, but this is more specific to technique etc, e.g. ive drawn out various different fire lays and then everytime I use one of them I pop in how succesful it was. Hopefully I can see when each one is most effective and find a personal favorite.
Most of it's going to be taken up with recipe and cooking experimentation I think - complimentry flavours what does and doesn't work and what floated my boat. I don't take the thing out however but write everything up when I get back and from the afore mentioned journal which I do carry about a fair bit.
Sorry though didn't realise there had already been a thread wasn't sure what to search under...

Cheers, Jembly.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It`s a good way to learn about such things as flora and fauna too, you can record stuff in your book which you`ve come across locally, then when you`re out and about away from home you`ll recognise these species more easily.

Rich

Elendeor

Jan 12, 2008
Bath
I keep a notebook. Has loads of stuff in it and take it everywhere. Do sketches, ideas, etc. Like you ive been looking at the old posts, theres lots of info here, its dead cool as ive only just found the site.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE