little help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 20, 2023
gateshead
hi just a quick question i couldnt find anywhere

what is best place in uk to build a base long term without any troubles please if u can help me

thank in advance
mark

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The reality is that all land in the UK belongs to someone, or some company or organisation.
Either you must own your own land or have permission to use someone else's.

Lots of threads on how to seek permission, and that will vary depending on where you live or where you want to spend time.

It's not always an easy answer, and I don't mean to be disheartening, but it's the truth of the matter.

Best of luck finding someplace suitable.

M

Reactions: dwardo

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If I were looking for a place to disappear, and was thinking I would do so without gaining a land owner's permission, I would be looking at places like this:
55.004479, -1.788896
Comes with other problems, access, noise, not a lot of room to move around, but unlikely to get regular foot traffic, no dog walkers, no shooting, no farmers or forestry workers.
:runaway:

Joking aside, Toddy's is good advice, but it would help if you shared a little more about what you are looking for. For instance, I know some folk who have made arrangements with land owners to teach bushcraft on their land, and have been able to set up semi permanent structures and leave some kit there. Your opening post could be read that way, or that you are looking for a place to build the kind of underground den/bunker/cabin that some folk show on Youtube. I think that if this is what you want, then why you want it might play into whether you get permission. A landowner might be okay with someone they have got to know building a permanent camp that they use once or twice a month for recreation, but might be less keen on someone setting up a camp that they want to occupy on a semi permanent basis, or who is planning to use it for a refuge in an end of days scenario.

All the best :)

Chris

Reactions: Toddy
Feb 20, 2023
gateshead
im really looking for somewhere just to build up and come back and leave and come back over time without people saying u cant build here you have to move i just love outdoor life always have just never really had a chance to do anything like that till now and it so hard to find anywhere ,where can u be allowed

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
If I were looking for a place to disappear, and was thinking I would do so without gaining a land owner's permission, I would be looking at places like this:
55.004479, -1.788896
Comes with other problems, access, noise, not a lot of room to move around, but unlikely to get regular foot traffic, no dog walkers, no shooting, no farmers or forestry workers.

Mmm... might just work :)

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Mmm... might just work :)

It may sound crazy but there are actually a lot of semi permanent camps under flyovers and on large roundabouts within complex traffic systems that are occupied by homeless, the risks are enormous though and with modern CCTV it has become more difficult to access these areas. Usually these areas are owned and maintained by the highways agency rather than the local council and they will move you on if you’re found. Avoid land owned by the rail network, there are special bylaws and some hefty fines for trespassing on them. Perhaps stealth camp a promising area for a few nights to assess what kind of reaction you get before setting up anything permanent, if you’re asked to move on it is best to do so politely and as soon as you possibly can.

Reactions: StevieE

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
what is best place in uk to build a base long term without any troubles please
In your back garden.;) One can wild camp overnight almost anywhere if you're discrete & leave no trace but to set up a permanent camp, reality dictates that you will either need to own land or have a landowner's permission, particularly if you don't want to be looking over your shoulder every 20 seconds.
On the other hand, if you scout around, you can sometimes find small forgotten patches of woodland, here & there, often along the sides of busy roads, where you could start a makeshift camp, while the chances of it being trashed by vandals or being requisitioned for development are pretty high, if you don't leave anything valuable there, it won't be a biggie.

Reactions: Ystranc

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
As a landowner there are some things that are intolerable, human waste, litter, damage and liability. If you can persuade a landowner that non of these are going to be an issue and show willing to help out once in a while they may let you use an unregarded corner of woodland. It’s going to be better if you keep any such arrangement very much to yourself so that your camp doesn’t become a free-for-all which you could be held responsible for by the landowner. It’s always best to ask, the worst that could happen is that they say no.

Reactions: Erbswurst

StevieE

Forager
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
Happened to come across a semi permanent dwelling on the site of a long gone nightclub. Didn't look a great place but he/her had obviously made a decent building project on the shed/ house. Middle of nowhere so how they got the stuff there I've no idea.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Another very important point, do nothing that could be considered criminal damage, unlicensed waste carrying, fly tipping etc.
One man’s recycling building materials is another man’s fly tipping. A small brick hearth hidden near a hedge or in undergrowth can seriously mess up a flail mower being used to clear brambles years after you’ve gone elsewhere. That is probably why I prefer the leave no trace ethos rather than building permanent structures.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE