'Likes'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
if you add a "like" you certainly need a dislike/disagree too. feedback is not always positive, but always valuable. A few words can give pointers or direction for all of us. if its too much effort to comment then don't, I don't post to see how many people like or comment, I'm sure that most others don't either. its about what interests you not about popularity and self gratification about how much appreciation you get for typing something.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry, cross posted with lou1661, who makes a good clear argument :)

We had huge issues with a like/ rep button in the past. It became an enormous headache for the mods and totally discouraged many others. It became sycophantic with a generally troublesome group of folks pretty much abusing it and being Liked for truly stupid things, just to boost their rep count.

So, the final decision was that the forum thrives on conversation. It only takes a moment to type a few works of agreement or approval/disapproval, or discussion, and it encourages others to post…and no Like or Rep button.

Those who had the highest rep counts (earned, not artificially boosted) just shrugged and said they were fine with it, so no problems.

M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
If I remember correctly, this has come up before and the feeling was if anyone liked a post enough they'd make comment, thus adding to the forum.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Lots of forums have that feature, and it seems to work well.

….and some forums have enormous great lists of names of people who 'liked' every blooming post.
Some forums have long running disputes and some are very discouraging of wider ranging topics.
Some are very adult, some are very quiet, some are very busy. They're all different.

M

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Got it, it was tried but not liked!

Thanks for the explanation!
Sorry, cross posted with lou1661, who makes a good clear argument :)

We had huge issues with a like/ rep button in the past. It became an enormous headache for the mods and totally discouraged many others. It became sycophantic with a generally troublesome group of folks pretty much abusing it and being Liked for truly stupid things, just to boost their rep count.

So, the final decision was that the forum thrives on conversation. It only takes a moment to type a few works of agreement or approval/disapproval, or discussion, and it encourages others to post…and no Like or Rep button.

Those who had the highest rep counts (earned, not artificially boosted) just shrugged and said they were fine with it, so no problems.

M

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
My opi ion is you can like anything, but how about a thanks button instead ? If you say thanks it only shows thanks, without POLITICS :rage:coming into it because of weight of numbers

Reactions: Janne

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think I'd prefer that tbh.
I am trying very hard to be positive about all the changes, and that includes the Like button. I'm very much in two minds about it but so far it seems to be causing neither grief nor controversy, so we'll hope.
I do like the 'thanks' idea though, so that instead of clicking that I liked something that made me laugh, or I agreed with or admired, it would only get a click if I was thanking someone for the posted information....or somesuch thing.

:dunno:
I think Admin/Lithril has quite enough on his ToDo list for the moment though.

M

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
He's probably governed by the XenForo software too M. I'd imagine it's a case of we keep Like, or lose Like.

I'm fine with it as Like, I use another forum with it and it works fine. You know, see a pic of Fenna with a pink spork, no comment is needed, but a Like the post just gives a nod in its direction. I'm fairly sure John is not going to be lapping up the love and becoming egotistical, but will accept the nudge in good humour. As an example of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: John Fenna

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm fine with it as Like, I use another forum with it and it works fine. You know, see a pic of Fenna with a pink spork, no comment is needed, but a Like the post just gives a nod in its direction. I'm fairly sure John is not going to be lapping up the love and becoming egotistical, but will accept the nudge in good humour. As an example of course.

Like this you mean?
516ed65d-16ef-400f-9fb7-07d7436b802e.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
No, I'm afraid it was much more frightening than any of those. The theme is ballet. I cannot speak further for fear of another of my 'episodes'.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE