Lightweight Rucksack

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Hey can anyone recommend a good and reasonably priced rucksack for about 50 litres capacity but lightweight. Thinking as near 1kg or less but still good for 15kg load at a push. Think old faithful is close to dying after over 18 years (1.6kg so want lighter).

I know some on her like big bergens but I like 45/50litre simple climbing sacks with lid pocket and perhaps mesh side pockets but I only really use wand pockets for sticks with the side compression straps so only really need one compartment and one lid pocket (plus the wand pockets to secure poles with).

Any ideas? Looked at the Pinnacle and the pursuit from Golite (one has alloy frame the other doesn't - does that make much difference for base loads of about 6kg or so?). Also looked at some gregory sacks but they are heavy I thought. Also looked at Gossamer Gear Gorilla or Mariposa but would they be ok with say 10kg to 15kg loads?

Does anyone know any good but lightweight or UL rucksack for up to 15kg loads but mostly a lot less? Any good ones? I really know nothing about rucksacks. Since I've been happy with mine for years and years I haven't looked into them so have no idea these days what is good.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I picked up a ULA CDT over on OM a few weeks ago, used it at the weekend and I'm really impressed so far. I also got an Exos 46 a few months ago which is also very comfy, I'll try the CDT a few more times and then probably sell one of them.

I did get quite a sweaty back with the CDT, the Exos has a far better back system for warm weather so it'll be a tough decision.

Both around the £100 price range

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
I've got a Lightwave Fastpack 50, weighs 1.10 kg, costs £115.
The design is very similar to the Crux rucksack as linked to by Sandbender. The Crux is made of a (much?) stronger material, feels nicer in the hand, looks nicer imo and is a tiny bit heavier. I choose the Lightwave model because the Crux was a bit too expensive at the moment. Don't regret it yet, will have to see how fast the Lightwave breaks, had it 2 years now with minor damage to the sidenetting due to rocks in the Alps.

Other interesting lightweight backpacks are made by Granite Gear (Vapor Trail model is popular I believe) and GoLite.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
I've been using the golite jam upto 10kg, which works really well provided you have it adjusted properly. Theres no proper frame so over 10kg might not be a possibility.... how comes your kit is weighing so much?

the jam comes in at about 800 grams, so it will save you a bit of weight.

p.s. they are about £90 new, and are partly made from recycled plastic.

RichardIT

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Moon
I'm thinking about getting the Osprey Exos 46. Tried on the Tallon 44 (large) and it was so comfy; so hopefully going to get the opportunity to try on the Exos 46 (which is lighter) today, if they have them in store. :)

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Climbers shop do Jam for £77 free delivery.

I know it's bad but recycled plastics doesn't mean as much to me as performance and features. Selfish I know. Plus I do want a frame. I have all the light gear but a bad habit of taking ALL the light gear. I can pack down to 6.5kg with 1l of water and food or I can pack to 20kg PLUS without food!! Why? 'cos I'm an idiot, young enough to cope with the weight or some other reason probably psychological. Counselling anyone?

I am going to make a concerted effort to fix my kit to a limited few lists. Winter, summer dry and summer wet kits. Think that will mean I don't over pack in future.

I do like the Crux and so far the fastpack is my preferred option so far. I was looking at this myself beforehand as it has a good weight but is capable of 15 to 18kg load carrying which I hope never to need. Curx sacks have always been one of my fave brands but I've had no need to buy one.

The Jam and other no frame Golite sacks wouldn't suit me for load carrying reasons. I want to be able to carry light and heavy if needed in the same, single pack. There is the pinnacle or pursuit from Golite which has a frame but it is not as light as the fastpack IIRC and not as good carry.

The GRanite gear are pricier and not actually that light I think. They are certainly nearer 1.5kg than 1.0kg. That is apart from the odd one that is.

Gossamer gear look like a good UL option. If I was to go along the lines of a frameless sack like Jam with a low base weight only then I think some of the bigger Gossamer Gear sacks might be better.

http://www.winwood-outdoor.co.uk/acatalog/Ultralight_Rucksacks.html

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Macpac seem to do the indestructible heavy pack and the nearly indestructible light pack these days. Either way for about 50 litres capacity they are at least 1.5kg IIRC. Nice and pricey but built to last. Will look again but now considered weighty I think. Thanks for the suggestions everyone, time to google for prices and reviews based on them.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Or check out Colin Ibbotson's project skins

http://www.andyhowell.info/Colin-Ibbotson/skins.html

Seriously though, I am not quite reliably lightweight enough for these sorts of pack. I'm kind of lightweight one trip then heavy the next like I am not completely confident in my kit. Perhaps I should just make the switch to CCF in the sack as the frame and go for a frame-less sack like the Jam of some other 500 to 800g sack you can get.

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Paul i have just started using a frame less ruck sack and if it is packed right there is no problems with it at all, and the weight savings are great, i would give it a try

Jason

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Or check out Colin Ibbotson's project skins

http://www.andyhowell.info/Colin-Ibbotson/skins.html

Seriously though, I am not quite reliably lightweight enough for these sorts of pack. I'm kind of lightweight one trip then heavy the next like I am not completely confident in my kit. Perhaps I should just make the switch to CCF in the sack as the frame and go for a frame-less sack like the Jam of some other 500 to 800g sack you can get.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Which one did you get? A local shop does the Jam for £77 delivered UK too. tempted a bit.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'm a Mariposa plus owner and it fits the bill for 3 season and light 4 season use.

I have put 18kg in it before and it didn't wince too much.

As a hammock addict, this pack in my eyes is still the best available for the huge mesh pockets.

I have the largest back size which gives 73l of volume and weighs a bit over 600g.

Before I bought it, I was concerened it might not be up to the job but its coped better than I could have hoped. I think with these very lightweight packs, a lightweight pack cover is essential if its going anywhere near rocks, brambles or trees to stop it getting damaged.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE