Lightweight gas stoves

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
I've been looking around for a lightweight gas cooker to use when there is no wood available & more or less decided on the MSR Pocket Rocket which retails around £30;
http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/fast-and-light-stoves/pocketrocket/product

However, i've also come across some identical stoves by other makers selling for a lot less. There's the Gelert Intensity:
http://www.charliesdirect.co.uk/products/gelert-intensity-mini-gas-stove

The Web Tex Warrior:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Web-tex-Warrior-Compact-Stove/dp/B0025ZAPEE

and a stove by Highlander:
http://www.highlander-outdoor.com/partnumber.asp?cid=29608&pnid=301932

I've read some good reviews for the Gelert Intensity and some bad reviews for the Web Tex stuff but i've not found any reviews for the Highlander stove and i would be grateful for any feedback about any of the stoves, particularly the Highlander one which i can pick up for £11.45 in a local camping store. I'm not sure i can see any difference between buying a stove made in the Far East by an American company for £34.95 which is what my local Blacks is charging for the Pocket Rocket and giving a third of that to a British company for something that is also made in the Far East other than the fact that i will save money by doing so. You often get what you pay for and maybe the Pocket Rocket is worth the extra, but i would be interested in anything people have to say.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
When you buy a MSR pocket rocket what you get is a stove that was designed in the US made in the Far east with QA and QC done by MSR and actually a very good design and a good quality valve.

Gelert and definately Web-Tex have gone to China probably the canton fair or online at Alibaba or global sourcing and found a supplier who is making clones of the MSR product. I've tested several of these and the issue with them is generally the quality of the valve. The chinese supplier cuts a few corners and the quality of the o rings is not that good and the machining and thread tolerances on the valve are not as good.. Also the aeration and jet sizing can be a bit hit and miss so the stove has a blossoming flame..

So in summation you get a consistant quality product with MSR. Is that worth the cash well that's a decision for the consumer to make...

Pocket rocket type stoves are ok but the flame is very focused which is ok if you are heating up water etc. If you are trying to fry something you get a real hotspot on the pan. A larger diameter burner head gives a much wider heat dispersion.. Primus make a really good stove in this regard...

http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/primus-yellowstone-classic.html

I've been in the factory where these are made and the subcontractor to Primus knows waht they are doing an the QA and QC are good...

Hope this helps...

Last edited:

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
So in summation you get a consistant quality product with MSR. Is that worth the cash well that's a decision for the consumer to make...

Hope this helps...

Yes it does, johnboy. Many thanks for taking the trouble. Probably i will pay the extra. I was looking at the Jetboil too but that seems a little expensive for occasional use. I just want to boil water for a brew and some boil-in-the-bag stew. Interesting what you have to say about Primus. I've always had a hankering after a Primus stove......

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Yes it does, johnboy. Many thanks for taking the trouble. Probably i will pay the extra. I was looking at the Jetboil too but that seems a little expensive for occasional use. I just want to boil water for a brew and some boil-in-the-bag stew. Interesting what you have to say about Primus. I've always had a hankering after a Primus stove......

The Jet boil is a very good product... I can vouch for them 100%

I've not used or handled the newer 'flash version' though just the older version..

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
I just bought a new gas cooker this week.
It is the Optimus Crux (from sweden) and have approx. 80 grams!
Also get a windshield for the cooker from Optimus (seperate) and I´m very happy with the system.
As pot you´ll get a lightweight Trekkettle (pan and pot) which is perfect and the cooker + 220g gas bottle fits inside!

The whole cooking set weighs approx 400g and thats amazing!
Not really cheap but very efficient - 3200W heating power, less fuel needing, small packaging, very lightweight.

Also you can clip the cooker underneath the gasbottle with the included bag - a great extra feature!
I would definitly recommend this cooking system to everybody!

cheers
Mike

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I have one of the Web Tex stoves, only used it a few times so far, like yourself, i bought it as a 'back up'. So far it has impressed me with the speed that it boils a pot of water, and how little gas it uses to do so. Only paid about a tenner including postage for mine from ebay.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
The main difference between the webtex and the MSR is the quality of materials and the heat output.The heat output difference is negligible and honestly how much abuse is the stove going to take?
I have the MSR pocket rocket and the Primus micron with igniter,I think the MSR is the better stove out of the two.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
The main difference between the webtex and the MSR is the quality of materials and the heat output.The heat output difference is negligible and honestly how much abuse is the stove going to take?
I have the MSR pocket rocket and the Primus micron with igniter,I think the MSR is the better stove out of the two.

Oooooooooo.....i googled the Primus micron. Titanium. Piezo ignition. Under 70 grams. £33 from http://www.trekplus.com/index1.html. And it's a Primus! It's got to be the one! :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Is a meths burner an option ? The Tatonka burner and stand can be had for a good price and they pack down to next to nothing. Just chuck a small 100ml bottle of fuel in and you're good to go if you need it.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
Is a meths burner an option ? The Tatonka burner and stand can be had for a good price and they pack down to next to nothing. Just chuck a small 100ml bottle of fuel in and you're good to go if you need it.

Yes, it's definately an option. I've got an SVEA alcohol burner which acts as a back-up at the moment. It's not the fastest thing around, though. I have looked at the Tatonka stuff and i like the shiny stainless steel business, but i was planning to pack something i can pull out and click...bosh heat up something quick & easy. I love meths, however, and i could easily be persuaded to upgrade the SVEA which has a cracked lid and takes around 10 mins to get going.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE