Lightweight but waterproof

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Iam after a lightweight waterproof with a hood for when I go walking. Ideally should be breathable and having pit zips would be great. A full sized hood that will go over a mountain bike helmet when I am on my bike would be brilliant.

Dont want to spend a fortune but willing to drop a few quid on one if it ticks the boxes and lasts a good while.

Any suggestions folks?

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Well for when you do start looking, I can recommend Rohan clothing, there warranty is insane, one and only issue was with a coat, that I had worn for 2 years and there was a material fault, and they refunded 100% of what I paid, and then gave me 20% off voucher for any new purchase.

I have not worn out any Rohan clothing, which I have worn everyday for the last 10 years, and I have walk thousands of km

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The Hoggs smocks are pretty good. I haven’t been subjected to anything prolonged or torrential, but it’s kept rain out on walks for couple of years I’ve had it. It’s roomy and airy in the size I bought, very nice material, waterproof zips, adjustable hood should be able to fit over a cycle helmet. And looks good on, not noisy, or stiff and plastic like Goretex. Mine benefits from me attaching a Fjallraven curled fox logo on the upper sleeve, you can almost see the Fjallraven fanboys hitting google on their phones when you wear it to the pub. :D

Available cheaper, think I paid around £65.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Well for when you do start looking, I can recommend Rohan clothing, there warranty is insane, one and only issue was with a coat, that I had worn for 2 years and there was a material fault, and they refunded 100% of what I paid, and then gave me 20% off voucher for any new purchase.

I have not worn out any Rohan clothing, which I have worn everyday for the last 10 years, and I have walk thousands of km

That ‘helix’ looks like a damn good jacket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
That ‘helix’ looks like a damn good jacket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forgot to say, always wait until the Rohan sales, possible to get what you want at half price, and for regular customers they send a £10 voucher via post every 2 years with no minimum spend.

Nugs

Feb 21, 2020
Devon
My suggestion would be Paramo, I have the Quito jacket..... lightweight, pit zips, and an adjustable hood which easily takes a cycling or climbing helmet. As they brand it as an adventure jacket, it only comes in quite loud colours.
I did also look at the Velez light smock which was similar features and money, but i have enough smocks already. ;)

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Well apparently we "NEED" a new sofa so I do NOT "NEED" another waterproof jacket :-(

A sofa's neither lightweight nor waterproof! It's difficult to wear - although does provide an appropriately-sized barrier for social distancing...

Ultimately, in order to keep you alive and happy enough to enjoy your new sofa, you do need a lightweight, waterproof jacket...

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
A sofa's neither lightweight nor waterproof! It's difficult to wear - although does provide an appropriately-sized barrier for social distancing...

Ultimately, in order to keep you alive and happy enough to enjoy your new sofa, you do need a lightweight, waterproof jacket...
Well I put this to SWMBO and yeahhh let's just day she didn't fully embrace the idea. Sofa first jacket second it's going to have to be I think.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
In my experience light means short lasting, heavy means long lasting if we speak about fabrics for rain jackets.

A poncho that goes over the rucksack may be light and long lasting.

But for a jacket that's different.

Really light PU coated polyester jackets survive my relatively heavy use round about 200 days until they start leaking at the shoulders. For me that means every year a new lightweight jacket.

The lightest 3 layer Goretex jacket and trousers combination I know is the Flecktarn Nässeschutzanzug, the rain suit of the German army.

Hood for Helmet, no pit zippers, only two pockets at the jacket.

Probably not so a good idea on the bike.
Who wears Flecktarn usually is invisible in green surroundings.

This suit is new or used very cheap if compared with similar civil products.

Used complete suit. (Parts are also offered.)

New:

ASMC runs the site in German, English and French. If It doesn't switch automaticly Google it yourself, to get the informations in English!

Last edited:

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Just back from a 20-mile ravine hike with the dog. It peed down rain moderate to heavy the whole time.

I had on shorts and trainers, a 200g merino top and a Paramo Bentu. Just the DWR'd outer jacket, not the fleece.

6hrs in that stuff, I was dry when I got back to the car. Well, top half was :) Very, very impressive that Bentu is. Didn't get cold when the wind picked up a bit in temps between 3-6C. It is quiet, has pockets and isn't at all boily like some other Paramos can be. Good hood. Doesn't have pit zips and doesn't need them.

This was its first severe test. Probably going to pick up another.

Last edited:

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
I have just spent the last month researching a new lightweight rain jacket for summer long distance hiking, and have just bought a Rab Downpour Plus jacket.

Made of Pertex 2.5, and has pit zips (which were the game changer for me). The hood is also designed to go over a climbing helmet, so would also go over a bike helmet if required.

I paid £90 for it from Nevisport, but Go Outdoors sell them, so if you find it cheaper online you can challenge them on their 10% cheaper price promise instore. Unfortunately I couldn't do this, as at the time of purchase the Go Outdoors stores are still closed due to lockdown, but I believe they are opening again soon.

ATB,

Allan

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
On the subject of pertex, I got a Rab with direct polartec in it. It is a very good warm jacket. Has a DWR and I have worn it in prolonged, horizontal rain. I felt dry as anything and nice and cozy at all time in it. But, when I got home and peeled it off I discovered that it weighed a ton with all the water it had held onto. Took the best part of the day to dry.

Just a pertexy observation.

If I can find another of these jkts, I'll buy it. They have discontinued the thing.,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE