Lightweight 20mm/25mm olive green hammock tapes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
This is a group buy for lightweight 20mm (18g/m) and/or 25mm (24g/m) olive green polyester webbing for hammock (or other) use:

WPES_O.jpg

Product details:

Available from this Finnish supplier: http://www.shelby.fi/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=141_32&products_id=1127

This is the lightest polyester webbing I've come across; most polyester webbing is tubular and therefore weighs twice as much. Note that polyester doesn't absorb water (and stretch) like nylon and is more durable than polypropylene. A useful comparison of PE vs. PP is here: http://www.haywoodproducts.com/webbingstrapping.

Static hammock tape tensions in kN are given by the formula (W * 9.8 / 1000) / (2 sin α) where W is your weight in kg and α is the angle of the tape drop from horizontal. For a 100kg load, the static tape tensions are approximately:

When tapes are 10° from horizontal = 2.9kN
When tapes are 20° from horizontal = 1.5kN
When tapes are 30° from horizontal = 1.0kN

The 25mm tape has a breaking strain of 5.2kN. The 20mm tape should have a breaking strain of about 80% of this (4kN). Either tape should have a good margin of safety in normal hammock hanging scenarios and use (i.e. you don't bounce on the hammock or string it close to the horizontal).

Group buy details:

This group buy is at cost. €0.85/meter (20mm) and €0.95/meter (25mm). The supplier gives a 25% discount on a complete 50m roll. Shipping costs from Finland are a fixed €16.90 (http://www.shelby.fi/catalog/shipping.php) and are obviously smaller on a per metre basis the more that is ordered.

I want 10m of the 20mm tape so, ideally, I'm looking for takers for the remaining 40m of a 50m roll. Obviously I can order more than 50m and per metre shipping costs will be even lower. I can also order 25mm webbing, but would prefer that the purchase of a whole 50m roll of 20mm is covered.

Black is also a possibility, but only if there are enough olive green takers.

Orders in 1m multiples please.

Jiffy bags at cost.

UK delivery will be Royal Mail 1st Class:

0-100g £1.28
101-250g £1.62
251-500g £2.14
501-750g £2.65
751-1000g £3.25

Disclaimer: I am prepared to buy and distribute this webbing as advertised on the supplier's website. Whilst I have no reason to doubt its quality or claimed specification, in buying it, you use it at your own risk.

Please state "I agree to the disclaimer" in your order post. Sorry for being paranoid...

Thanks for looking,
Joel

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
It occurred to me after posting that I hadn't specified payment info. My preferred payment is a UK BACS transfer. I've never received money from PayPal and would prefer not to go there. However, it that's what people want. What does "not a gift" mean?

Steve, I can't cost it yet until I know the demand.

Johan, I haven't investigated European postage. In specifying Royal Mail 1st Class, I was implicitly restricting this to UK mainland postage. Let's see how this pans out.

BACS is fine by me. There is a way to use paypal to say that the money you are sending is a gift or money owed. This avoids paypal fees. If I were Patpal, I'd be checking people don't do it too much.

Anyway. Assuming that a whole 50m of 20mm Olive goes, what would be the 10m cost? I think it's going to be difficult to judge demand without a cost, even if a decent, close estimate.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
Assuming the 50m roll goes, 10m of 20mm will be €(0.85*50*0.75+16.90)/5 = €9.76 = approx. £8.75

+ £1.62 postage
+ jiffy bag

I'll check out jiffy bag costs this lunchtime and post back.

Just a few words of advice:

Don't overlook import duty, IIRC if the package cost (incl. shipping) is greater than £18, it gets really expensive.

Don't forget to cost in for bank charges for currency conversion.

You need to include the weight of the packaging when calculating the postage costs, you'll probably be ok with the 20mm, but the 25mm will drop into the next postage bracket.

As far as Paypal goes, I don't think there's much in it, if you send the money as a payment for goods then the seller pays the fees of 20p + 3.4% IIRC. As I understand it if you send the money as a Gift then the sender pays the fees. Either way Paypal get their slice. Also whilst the figures are as above you need to allow for Paypal rounding-up their fees in each transaction.

Sorry to put a be the bearer of bad news, but I wouuldn't wan't you to be out of pocket.

Viruskiller, I'll send you a PM on a related matter.

VirusKiller

Nomad
Jul 16, 2007
Hogsty End
Ok. Very little interest, so I think I'm going to order 9.5m for myself which will just get me into the lower shipping bracket.

Steve M: If you are still interested please PM me, but obviously the shipping cost would only be shared two ways.

GB closed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE