Lightweight 2-4 man floorless tipi for use in snow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Anyone got such a thing they could bear to move-on ? Eg.

Mountain Hardware Kiva, Kifaru, Helsport tipis etc. ?

Ideally design needs to be vented, have sod cloths all round and be no less then 7 foot at the apex. Stove port not important.

If no luck with this I may make one.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I have a helsport varanger 4-6 full rig i.e inner and floor. Has three small burn holes near the top in the side wall but an easy fix with spinaker tape. Used twice cost £1000, in light of the repair needed im looking for £500 plus post at cost. might be too heavy for you though unless you are hauling on a tobboggan but its a proper winter tent designed for just what you are doing.

20121111_112243.jpg

20121110_094623.jpg

20121109_175832.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
How about adapting a large tarp Andy, I think you mentioned on another thread about sewing some doors on an existing one? If you're not planning to use a stove then I'd maybe look at other options. I've shared this pic before but a decent sized tarp can give good coverage and protection ..

Ignore the hammock straps for ground dwelling ...
tarpwithdoors-1.png

As long as you get good steep angles that'll shed the snow then you're half way there. A simple A-frame configuration would work well, if the tarp's big enough then you can use the edges for the snow skirt, you'd have to fashion doors by either sewing on or velcro or even just wrapping around with extra tarps and pegging out.

Something like a 4.5x3m tarp would give you a good height if pitched "sideways", not sure you'd get 7ft, you'd have to work that out.

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
Thanks Rich ! That's a nice illustration, I'd seen that tarp rig recommended elsewhere for winter use. The tarp would be more flexible and cost effective than a dedicated tent shelter, lighter too probably. I would need trees though, but I should be able to find some where I'm going ! Always good to have options !

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Thanks Rich ! That's a nice illustration, I'd seen that tarp rig recommended elsewhere for winter use. The tarp would be more flexible and cost effective than a dedicated tent shelter, lighter too probably. I would need trees though, but I should be able to find some where I'm going ! Always good to have options !

Plenty O trees round Jokkmokk Andy.. Look on google maps

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Jok...551,21.643066&hnear=Jokkmokk,+Sweden&t=h&z=12

Apr 10, 2013
Manchester
This thread is a few months old, but if you're still looking, I've got a Mountain Hardwear Kiva Lite I'm looking to sell. In great condition with groundsheet, £99?

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
This thread is a few months old, but if you're still looking, I've got a Mountain Hardwear Kiva Lite I'm looking to sell. In great condition with groundsheet, £99?

If Charlie doesn't want this - could I buy it please - exactly what i'v e been looking for...

Snozz

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE