lighter kit 2

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Sleeping equipment is one area where I don't like to compromise,I would rather carry a sleeping bag that is too warm and then sleep on top of it or have the zip open than be cold.
So, firstly I am shifting my issue dossbag:(,I love these bags .They are so warm and roomy,easy to look after and clean,the zip actually works everytime you use it .The biggest and only 2 probems are........ IT WEIGHS FIVE POUNDS AND.......IT'S HUGE EVEN WHEN COMPRESSED.
This one is a bit of a no brainer,I changed to a down sleeping bag it's 4 season and weighs just over 2 lbs .there are lighter bags out there but they are very ,very expensive.It fits easily into the new pack without being compressed,in fact it takes up so little room it now lives in a side pocket liner from a plce bergan.
Thats almost 3lbs saved and no loss of comfort.I have also added a liner to help keep the bag clean this weighs in at less than 1oz.

Next I had a look at my rollmat,I had a full size luxury mat,70 mm thick 2010mm long and 80mm wide.This was real luxury warm ,soft , thick and plenty of room and guess what ............IT WEIGHS FOUR POUNDS.
Out with that then and in with the new mat,It's a karrimor lightweight shaped mat,40mm thick 1800mm long and tapering at each end.You know the type ,if you wanted to put a rollmat in a coffin this would fit perfectly.It weighs in at 12oz so thats over 3lbs saved.One thing which I have found with ALL self inflating mats is the fact that they aren't,they all need a bit of help.This one is no different.

BIVI BAG.

I have looked at lots of bivi bags but feel that you cant beat the issue bivvi bag.It' weighs in at half a pound but is almost bomb proof.There are lighter bags out there but for cost and durability the issue bag is unbeatable.

So for less money than my original kit cost I have the same amount of comfort but have shed almost six pounds.

Now my kit weighs almost 11 pounds less than it did and I have lost no comfort at all,in fact I've probably gained quite a bit of comfort by not having to hump about surplus weight.
Up to now I've talked about saving lbs next I'll talk about saving grammes.It may be a bit pushy counting the grammes but remember 1000 grammes is a kilogramme and that is over 2 pounds.If you can shed a couple of hundred grammes here and there then they soon add up,as I have found out.

Next we'll have a look at cooking equipment.

DV...

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2010
East of England
This is an interesting read mate, I've tried the same and replaced my issue bivvi bag with an Alpkit one. My OG "large" issue bivvi bag weighs 1KG :confused:

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
Mine is the latest issue DPM type I think they made them from a little thinner material,but still tough as old boots.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE