Light weight Warm Budget Jacket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 11, 2015
Scotland
Hi,

I'm very new to the forum with limited access to the forum. I'm currently looking to buy some camping/hiking/paragliding cloths.
I was wondering if anyone could recommend a light weight jacket for around £60. My main purpose for the jacket would be a paragliding in Georgia and Armenia in Spring (average ground temp 25 C going up to 8000 ft), so very little movement, breath-ability is not important but being windproof is quite important.

Thanks

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Buy two separate jackets, outer that meets your demands water or wind proof, and an inner insulation. They will work in tandem. The inner will keep the heat the outer protect that heat from being robbed through which ever element it's protecting you from.

If you can't insulate enough against the cold supplement heat, zippo hand warmers are the most effective for me.

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
It gets cold at 8000 feet. I'd look for a sensibly priced, light weight down jacket. I got one from Costco last year for £25. Not the last word in quality, but plenty good enough. It's a 'pertex like' outer which is windproof, plenty of length so it doesn't ride up when you have your arms high, and very warm for the weight.

Other than that, cycling jackets might work, given the position you'll be in when you're in your wing - longer backs and plenty of arm movement space.

Feb 11, 2015
Scotland
In Scotland I use my old ski jacket I bought on sale from next, with a winter cycling jacket from aldi which is really warm. But the ski jacket takes too much space and its no longer in a good shape.
Would stretching my budget to the alpkit filoment jacket at £99 any good. Using the jacket under a pack away regatta waterproof?
I will look into snugpak, thanks. Don't know what dragon32 post about.

bushferret

Jun 15, 2013
United Kingdom
Tenderfoot is spot on snugpak products are spot on and great value for what you get. I've got the sasquach and sleeka jackets sleeka fits inside the sasquach for extreme coldness or the jackets can obviously be worn separately. Sleeka down to minus five and sasquach to minus fifteen,so both combined probably minus twentyish.Prices for sasquach about ninety pounds and sleeka about sixty five pounds.

Feb 11, 2015
Scotland
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking at them all now!
I'm particularly after a lightweight and compact (travelling/hiking with a glider, harness and parachute, so space is limited.) product to operate at -5C decently when layered

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking at them all now!
I'm particularly after a lightweight and compact (travelling/hiking with a glider, harness and parachute, so space is limited.) product to operate at -5C decently when layered

I've used military surplus sleeka-type jackets from eBay at below zero. Not very stylish but got a new medium for c.£20 incl postage. I use it for messing about when there's a chance that more expensive kit could be torn, burnt or otherwise damaged. It's longer that the real Sleeka too.

All the best.

Feb 11, 2015
Scotland
I think I will go for the ex-army stuff both due to the cost and also having used their old arctic sleeping bags and waterproof Gortex trousers, I am now a believer! For the cost they are exceptional.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE