light weight axe? supplyer makes brands etc...????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
just for splitting logs? - kindling and such like?

what is your budget?

there is the good old argos axe if you can find one

husqvarna do a nice little hatchet - http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/Garden_Machinery/Chainsaws_and_Tree_Care/Forestry_and_Logging_Tools/Axes_-_Hatchets_and_Mauls/sc1789/p10101.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=GoogleShopping&utm_campaign=googlebase&utm_term={keyword}

axminster have a number of axes - the japanese style one is very good for splitting but not much else
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axes-dept814756_pg1/?src=froogle

then of course there is the best of the best
http://www.greenwood-direct.co.uk/default.cfm/loaddoc.173

- I'd personally go with a versatile axe like a gransfors small forest axe - or even a cheap hatchet like a bacho.

also look into older kent pattern axes as IMO these are fantastic - mine can easily split wood and yet is suitable for carving too.

all the best

Andy

all i want it for is splitting logs kindling etc.... as light as possible!!!!!! im a beleiver that paying £500 for a tool that you can get one that does same job for £10 is totally down to fashion. im not after something that will disintergrate after 5 minutes but not after Zeus's super tanterlisingly fantastic super axe haha

cheers scotty

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
I think most hatchets I linked to will be around 2.5lb in total. - I don't know if fibre glass handles are lighter or heaver - I don't like them so never use them.

You might consider mini axes such as those made by gransfors.
I think google is your friend on this one mate.

if yo uwant light a knife with a batton will deal with pretty big logs

To be honest ive never used an axe for fire wood when out its either small enough or if its big it will burn down soon enough etc a Pocket saw is usfull to cut lenghts down if you cant carry it a coipel of 6-10ft logs will last a long time just burn thro the middl and keep feeding in
usally split a small ish log into 4 with the knife feather it to get the dry stuff and use the finger size bits to go up from there (if its dry you dont need ot bother with that )

an axe for fire wood really is a waste of callories in UK woodland for bushcraft traveling purpouses

ATB

Duncan

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
i just got hold of a Gerber Back Paxe from a thread on here this week!

its pretty sweet, maybe worth a look,

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Just remember the smaller the axe the more dangerous. I'd recommend just getting a nice sturdy knife (full tang, 4"~ blade and convex ground rather than scandi) and using it to batton in conjunction with a folding saw.

Something like a Mora 2080 (I suggest as I have experience with it) and a Laplander saw together is under £40 which is comparable to a decent axe but it'll be a much more flexible (and lighter) package.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
You could buy a Sliky F180 and a Mora Triflex for around £30, or the Husqvarna hatchet mentioned above for the same price....

I'm having great fun with both at the moment, and eather set-up is very capable, the first combo being about 2lb lighter, maybe more.

TBL.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE