Lifeadventure thermo flask (rubbish)

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
So my wife brought me a life adventure thermo cup that I had seen being used before on YouTube by other bishcrafters. First impressions were great. Fantastic build quality. All apart from the lid it has a short plastic thread to secure it to the fully stainless cup. It just pops back off once tightened down. I wouldn't trust it not to leak in a bag. Real shame :(. So I am now looking for a thermos flask. I want it to be 100% stainless no plastic Shiite anywhere at all. Anyone got something they can recommend?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
'Thermos' flasks have been discussed here a lot, look at the Thermax range from Thermos, you'd be hard pushed to beat them. I have more flasks than I can use but will say the Thermax are really good. That said for a 1 litre drinking flask in stainless steel the £3.99 from Tesco gives impressive performance in terms of keeping hot drinks hot and will easily do your hot drinks for a day.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
That said for a 1 litre drinking flask in stainless steel the £3.99 from Tesco gives impressive performance in terms of keeping hot drinks hot and will easily do your hot drinks for a day.

Cant argue with that either. its our out and about flask when me and the family walk the dog. I only got the orange one so i dont lose it in snow :D

SiWhite

Nomad
Apr 1, 2007
Deepest North Hampshire
So my wife brought me a life adventure thermo cup that I had seen being used before on YouTube by other bishcrafters. First impressions were great. Fantastic build quality. All apart from the lid it has a short plastic thread to secure it to the fully stainless cup. It just pops back off once tightened down. I wouldn't trust it not to leak in a bag. Real shame :(. So I am now looking for a thermos flask. I want it to be 100% stainless no plastic Shiite anywhere at all. Anyone got something they can recommend?

I suspect it is too full when you are tightening the lid - try to drop the fluid level a bit and have another go.

I have a Lifeventure flask in daily use without leakage...

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Still use my coleman that I got when I went off to college 18 years ago, been dropped out of more tractors and trees than I can remember and still keeps stuff hot for 24 hrs

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
i find with Lifeventure the seal is very pronounced so you have to push it down hard whilst locking it shut,It only has about 1/4 of a turn to lock it and if the threads are not aligned it leakes everywhere...... try reversing the seal and see if that helps (it did a bit on mine)

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I don't like opening mugs with lids or pouring out from flasks. The best solution I have found is the all metal Primus Commuter mug. It is genuinely leakproof (unlike the mugs with screw tops) and keeps drinks hot just like a flask but has a button release drink through lid. Top job. http://www.facewest.co.uk/Primus-Commuter-Mug-Stainless.html

Primus-Commuter-Mug-Stainless.jpg

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i use the ''Thermos King 24 hour stainless steel'', got it after after trying several cheap versions that were much lighter but were hopeless. The weak point on most flasks is their eficiency when some liquid has been removed, the King i have found is better in this respect .

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I am a bit of a flask geek but the worst flask in recent (ish) times was a BCB 'army' flask, utter rubbish and I got the cold shoulder when I complained.

These type of Thermos food flasks work superbly well but are glass lined so a tad delicate. The Army and RAF used them in WW2. This from an old flask thread here and they pop up on ebay all the time.

general06_1215.jpg

Don't forget, flasks are not just for hot and cold drinks but also for cooking. A good wide mouthed flask is a real bonus for cooking anything from dehydrated food to pasta, oates, spuds/vegetables even; a real fuel saver.

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
i find with Lifeventure the seal is very pronounced so you have to push it down hard whilst locking it shut,It only has about 1/4 of a turn to lock it and if the threads are not aligned it leakes everywhere...... try reversing the seal and see if that helps (it did a bit on mine)

I tried everything you have suggested but its still crap. I guess it's just faulty. Thankyou all for your suggestions

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I suspect this'll go down like a lead balloon but... the old style glass flasks are still good. I had one in my top box on the bike while working as a motorcycle courier in London. Generally they lasted around 6 months each before breaking. A pot hole too far and all that. They usually won't survive being dropped but they can survive a lot.

That was around ten years ago when steel flasks were still quite expensive and had a tendency to just stop working for no apparent reason. Financially glass flasks were a better option at that time although I'm sure the steel jobs have come on a bit since then. They're certainly cheaper now.

Funnily enough most couriers thought I was a bit nuts riding around with a glass flask on a bike but they lasted surprisingly well.

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
I have just bought a emsa flask from amazon ,made in Germany and works a treat , I think the esbit's are now made in China as are thermos and stanley now don't get me wrong they make some good stuff but I just this time fancied somthing made closer to home

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE