life straw

miles888

Jan 6, 2012
peak district
hi miles888

ive purchased a life straw survival water filter from austrailer, cleam you can drink straight from the puddle
no used it yet tho, anyone used one befor?

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
I guess it does the job since it's being supplied to several humanitarian agencies around the globe. In case you're reluctant to drink water directly from the puddle, throw 1-2 purification tablets first.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ask BOD - he has done some, frankly terrifying, tests on the lifestraw in extreme conditions

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I guess it does the job since it's being supplied to several humanitarian agencies around the globe. In case you're reluctant to drink water directly from the puddle, throw 1-2 purification tablets first.
Although, I hear simply boiling the water is the best method of killing most micro-organisms.... just not so good when it comes to chemicals and heavy metals?

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
Although, I hear simply boiling the water is the best method of killing most micro-organisms.... just not so good when it comes to chemicals and heavy metals?

No way! If that was the case then most, if not all, water purification devices would have been useless.

I have a Lifesaver Bottle and believe me it does the job a lot better than purification tablets and/or other improvised methods. Boiling water full of chemicals and other lethal contaminants will do nothing. Water purification devices give you almost crystal clear and non-smelly water. True it doesn't taste like the water you drink from the kitchen tap but at least you can drink it without fear of getting sick.

I tried a lot of times water full of chemicals that I got from several urban environments and the end result was amazing. Definitely a must have for a survival/Bug-out bag.

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
No way! If that was the case then most, if not all, water purification devices would have been useless.I have a Lifesaver Bottle and believe me it does the job a lot better than purification tablets and/or other improvised methods. Boiling water full of chemicals and other lethal contaminants will do nothing. Water purification devices give you almost crystal clear and non-smelly water. True it doesn't taste like the water you drink from the kitchen tap but at least you can drink it without fear of getting sick.I tried a lot of times water full of chemicals that I got from several urban environments and the end result was amazing. Definitely a must have for a survival/Bug-out bag.
Ah, scrap 'best method' but replace it with boiling and filtering being a fairly effective method of killing dangerous organisms, (but not chemicals/heavy metals). Here's a great post about water purification: The Science of Water. I just find that there is soooo much kit you could carry to make things safer, more convienient, faster, but at the end of the day if the basic methods of filtering and getting the water at a good rolling boil for a few minutes then in a 'survival' situation I think i'd be happy just to have found a water source. As stated in the post, "it's low tech, takes longer and no protection from chemical hazards. However it's simple, effective and won't wear out". Now I have re-read the post, perhaps taking a few purification and purification devices if I know I am likely to want to drink from an unsavoury source is a sensible idea. (Why is my computer ignoring paragraphs on my posts!?)

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
The life straw and lifesaver are 2 entirely different products the former is a great product but it does very little good for chemicals either. It also doesn't do much good against viruses. The lifesaver on the other hand is pretty unique it has activated carbon for chemicals and metals together with a filter that can also block viruses.

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
Ah, scrap 'best method' but replace it with boiling and filtering being a fairly effective method of killing dangerous organisms, (but not chemicals/heavy metals). Here's a great post about water purification: The Science of Water. I just find that there is soooo much kit you could carry to make things safer, more convienient, faster, but at the end of the day if the basic methods of filtering and getting the water at a good rolling boil for a few minutes then in a 'survival' situation I think i'd be happy just to have found a water source. As stated in the post, "it's low tech, takes longer and no protection from chemical hazards. However it's simple, effective and won't wear out". Now I have re-read the post, perhaps taking a few purification and purification devices if I know I am likely to want to drink from an unsavoury source is a sensible idea. (Why is my computer ignoring paragraphs on my posts!?)

I'm not saying that boiling water is not effective. Ultimately in an extreme situation with no purification devices and tablets, this is a method of last resort. However it's completely different boiling water coming from a dirty city road that is full of contaminants and boiling water you find in the countryside.

I'll translate a post I've found in Greek of how to purify such really dirty water without purifiers and tablets.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The life straw and lifesaver are 2 entirely different products the former is a great product but it does very little good for chemicals either. It also doesn't do much good against viruses. The lifesaver on the other hand is pretty unique it has activated carbon for chemicals and metals together with a filter that can also block viruses.

To be clear, a ceramic activated charcoal filter will remove some heavy metals and a few chemicals via a combination of fine filtration and chemical adsorbtion. It absolutely cannot and does not remove all chemical contaminants. I have a lifesaver. Its a great bit of kit, but no water filter on earth can remove all chemicals and heavy metals. In almost all situations however, they do not need to.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I still think boiling is best and if you have planned your route and time then it is easily done at the end of the day when you camp at a water source. This will always be my first choice.

However sometimes you need water and it is not the best. I tested the Lifestraw from a practical and Bug out point of view.

Text;
About a year ago we moved to Indonesia where the quality of tap water is not very good. Most water is bore water and often the bore holes do not go down deep enough and there is contamination from cesspits and the like.

For example, four people in our expat compound are down with amoebic dysentery at the moment.

The solution is bottle water and this gets delivered weekly in very large bottles for the dispenser.

However this is also the land of vast volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, monsoonal floods and homicidal political and religious unrest so I wondered how we would fare should T**** and supply chains collapse as it did Fukushima in Japan.

I got some good advice from members like BR on filtration systems at home but the question still remained what to do in case we needed to bug out of the city to the hills (literally).

I now have an opportunity to review one promising product for the BOB – the LifeStraw.

I obtained a number of LifeStraws from the maker and am in the process of testing them. I bought them so I am not beholden to Vestergaard and part of the intention is to see if NGOs here might get sponsors to buy some for local communities affected by water quality issues. I am also interested in the survival situation of course.

The efficiency of the device is a matter of scientific testing and it seems to perform well. Our test is whether they can actually be used easily when you are on the move and have to drink what you can find. There is also the psychological acceptance factor. At what point do you stop using it - heavy siltation, scum and solid waste?

We started in the hills, with ‘better’ water – the heart of Borneo to be precise and drank our way from jungle streams to rivers that service logging, mining and towns.

Brunei Test

Before Borneo proper my first test was in Brunei at a forest swimming hole popular with young people on the weekends.

P9211266.jpg

If you do not want to enter the water you need to get a container. I used an empty water bottle and cut off the top with the Mora.

P9211274.jpg

P9211268.jpg

The LS has a strap so you don’t lose it. A very good idea

P9211271.jpg

The filter end has a cap. Its shuts well and stay tight but I am concerned about the plastic hinge. Time will tell if it lasts

P9211272.jpg

The drinking end. The cap fits well and the keeper strap is more robust than the one at the filter end

P9211273.jpg

Initially there is considerable resistance when you suck. I find it reassuring. If it was too easy I’d wonder about the filter. It goes through some chambers apparently and it becomes easier after the 5th or 6th suck. Certainly not as easy as a drinking straw but the effort is quite manageable.

After you have drunk your fill you need to backwash the filter by blowing vigorously to empty the straw.

This model does not allow you to fill a container after filtration at source although another "Family" model does

Sarawak Borneo test

A tributary stream near the Bario plateau

P9271356.jpg

P9271360.jpg

The upper reaches of the long Baram River

P9291553LifeStraw-Copy.jpg

P9281443LifeStraw.jpg

P9281441LifeStraw.jpg

A small tributary stream 50m downstream from the outhouse.

P9301638.jpg

At a small town in the lower reaches of the Baram River.

PA011713LongLama.jpg

PA011711.jpg

PA011704.jpg

PA011705.jpg

PA011708.jpg

Apart from the very first test in Brunei where there was a slightly unusual taste the rest of the time the water tasted as good as many brands of bottled water and better than some brands of Reverse osmosis water.

Next week the LS will be tested for two weeks in Namibia (Africa)where it will be used in native bore wells and at waterholes shared with wildlife.

Africa Text:

The second part of the test was a good reminder of how well rainforests filter water compared to other habitats.

The Life Straw was now tested in the Kalahari. With summer approaching the pans, vleis and other water sources were starting to dry up which concentrated the pollutants and salinity. The pans, which are large, but shallow, seasonal water sources look like dry salt lakes and host many thousands of water birds during winter and spring which poo directly into the water. Around the edge the mammals drink and they leave their scat or dung by the water’s edge. Some places smell extremely gamey to put it mildly. Without any doubt the water is teeming with microscopic life.

I tried to drink about half a litre from each pan. As a guesstimate, I’d say one large glass of water at least. What is interesting is that the two Bushmen with us did not drink from any of the places I did which suggests that w/o a LS I’d be feeling very ill indeed!

At this pan, which is representative of the “better” sort of water source, the water tasted fine after filtration as good as any warm bottled or tap water despite the colour and the presence of dung around the pan

PB010607.jpg

PB010608.jpg

This waterhole was a green colour and looked like a possible nesting mamba site according to my mates who were trying to spook me. Once again the water tasted fine and I drank a lot.

PB010616.jpg

This vlei looked nice. It was fed by a spring. However even close to the spring it stank. The LS made the water drinkable but having your nose so close to it was unpleasant so I scoped up some into an empty plastic bottle. Drinking from the container with a narrow mouth kept the stench inside the bottle and I could drink without nasal distress. Thanks to Dave for the use of this photo

ls.jpg

Adam and I also drank well or bore grey water from the local wells. The LS did a fine job turning it into aqua minerale.

By drinking directly from the pans, I began to appreciate most animals’ caution checking thoroughly for the presence of predators before drinking. Rhinos and elephants would amble up to the waterhole and drink almost straight away, while prey animals like springbok and steenbok would take a long time before starting to drink. Giraffes are particularly careful as they are very vulnerable to attack when drinking. I saw a giraffe take more than two hours before it started to drink. The caution was entirely justified as there was a prone lioness and young male lion there waiting in ambush something. They had been there for about over three hours! Needless to say when any large animal was around I stayed far from the waterhole. These fellows can kick your head off or stomp you

PB030752.jpg

PB030803.jpg

The next test is a simulated bug-out situation depending mainly on LS filtration and purification in an Asian mega city. Simulated means that I am not going to sleep in culverts and behave like a survivalist militia man on an E & E exercise but I will use the water sources available in a T**** bug out from a city to a rural or bush area to escape the riots, shootings and killings that have been a part of this city’s quite recent history. It’s a good opportunity to recce a route

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Wow, that's a field test.----------------------------------------------------------------------------I see, so there are water filters and water purifiers and the life saver bottle is a water purifier?----------------------------------------------------------------In a book I have of first aid and wilderness medicine it suggests that boiling is the only way to kill cyclospora. However looking online here suggests that purifiers (not filters) are also effective.--------------------------------------------------------------"Iodine and chlorine do not kill Cyclospora. This means that drinking water must be boiled, or filtered with a special filter designed for purifying drinking water. The candle filters in your kitchen are probably not small enough to eliminate Cyclospora. The organism is easily killed by boiling. People working in the field or trekking will be at risk if they drink water that is only treated with iodine." ------------------------ So I suppose if you have a water purifier (such as a lifesaver then it'll help remove some of the chemicals, etc that boiling could not?).------------Just got to hope you have it on you when you need it, but I think i'll stay satisfied with boiling unless I am going somewhere where I know water could be a problem. GAH, my PC is still ignoring all the new lines I put in... (Tried Chrome (Chromium), Firefox (IceWeasel) and Epiphany) still the same

Last edited:

miles888

Jan 6, 2012
peak district
miles888 thanks caused quite a stir there, im still not happy drinking from puddles but isnt that the point of survival?
useing what you can even becoming uncomfortable for a while.
my bergen has all the stuff i need to enjoy the hills but 'just in case' you need a basic survival kit

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE