Lethal Beavers in Belarus

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Nasty:

"A fisherman has been bitten to death by a beaver after trying to
take its photograph. The man was on a fishing trip at Lake Shestakov in Belarus with two friends
when they spotted the animal on the side of the road.
He stopped so that he could take a picture but as he approached the beaver it
pounced on him, biting him in the thigh. His friends attempted to stem the flow of blood from the wound but the
animal’s bite had severed a main artery and the man, who came from Brest, bled
to death."

http://news.sky.com/story/1076746/beaver-bites-man-to-death-in-belarus-attack

I guess you don't bring trees down with blunt teeth.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just bad luck sadly.

I do wish people would learn that wild animals will bite. Even in this country the naievety is astounding

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Very easily done when you sever a femoral artery....there was a case a fair few years back where two harley street docs where having lunch in a restaurant and the waiter pulled the cork out of a wine bottle held between his thighs. The bottle broke, the glass cut open his femoral and dispite the best efforts of the two surgeons the waiter was dead in under 4 mins!

Thougts go out to this mans family.

Bam.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Canadian beavers appear to be friendlier though:

[video=youtube;sekLEG8xsOs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded& v=sekLEG8xsOs[/video]

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Ouch. Both stories seem to make the case for carrying clot/major trauma on your person?

Your certainly should carry them one or more Dave but a cut Femoral Artery is just about the worst cut you can get and by the time you or your companions realise the severity of the situation you could well be dead. Imagine this fella, the Beaver teeth penetrate his trousers and do the damage, blood gushing inside the trousers, his initial reaction would probably have been some ripe language and not thinking 'Ooops, I'm dying,' 30 seconds later he's passed out, three minutes later he's dead.

RIP chap.

If there are any 'jokes' doing the rounds best to keep them private as you don't want poor taste like that on an open forum.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
It sound like a good reason for people who play with sharp things in the middle of nowhere to take major trauma first aid training. I don't know the first thing to do in a situation like that.

That artery goes directly to the heart, it's how they put a stent into your heart after a heart atttack. An old warrior trick would be to swing the sword between the legs, the legs being a big guide for the sword to hit the mentioned artery. Maybe a major trauma course would be a good idea.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Your certainly should carry them one or more Dave but a cut Femoral Artery is just about the worst cut you can get and by the time you or your companions realise the severity of the situation you could well be dead. Imagine this fella, the Beaver teeth penetrate his trousers and do the damage, blood gushing inside the trousers, his initial reaction would probably have been some ripe language and not thinking 'Ooops, I'm dying,' 30 seconds later he's passed out, three minutes later he's dead.

RIP chap.

If there are any 'jokes' doing the rounds best to keep them private as you don't want poor taste like that on an open forum.

When I did my recent outdoor first aid course, the instructor pointed us towards the story of the ice hockey goalkeeper who had his carotid artery severed:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clint_Malarchuk

The only thing that kept him alive was the team coach who got to him who had Vietnam combat medic experience and stuck his fingers in the guy's neck.

Wilderness + Beaver bite = No chance.

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Can only add that pointing a camera at a wild animal you have cornered is an act of staggering stupidity.

Hard wired into our makeup is the little fact that if something is staring really hard at you it is probably about to attack. And to an already nervous critter a camera lens looks pretty much identical to a great big staring eye.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I watched the video posted on Sky and you could see the transition from "minding its own business" to "threatened and attacking".

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE