Lembert Dome and Dog Lake in Yosemite NP

Hi Everyone!

After a difficult week at work, I took a few days to go hiking in Yosemite National Park. My plan was to hike and camp for two days and nights. On the first day, I would hike to the top of Lembert Dome and then continue to Dog Lake for a swim.

I have wanted to hike Lembert Dome ever since I saw it from Tuolumne Meadows several years ago. Here is a picture from that earlier trip taken from the meadow:

BCFRM_Lembert-DomeSM.jpg

The meadow is at an elevation of 8,600’ (2,600 m). The top of the dome is at 9,449’ (2880 m). The hike of less than 5-miles was a good way to get acclimatized to the altitude before a 16.4-mile hike I planned for the next day to the top of Half Dome.

Here are some pictures from Lembert Dome:

Hikers have to make their own path across the smooth granite dome.

bcfrm_On-ridge-Copy.jpg

The views are pretty amazing. My pictures don't do justice to the feeling of height.

bcfrm_LD69.jpg

Here is a picture of the top. I imagine the husband taking the photograph saying, "Just another step back, Honey..." :)

bcfrm_LD74.jpg

One thrill during the hike was seeing an animal I had never seen before (Tamias alpines). I also hiked onward from the dome to Dog Lake and met some hikers visiting from the UK. Here is a link with more pictures from my hike, some details about alpine chipmunks, climate change, glaciation and geology, and some archaeology from the area:

Lembert Dome and Dog Lake

Regards,

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE