Legal edc bushcraft knife ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
TLM,
If you want to chat about this, drop me a PM, or start a fresh thread. We are not going to have a debate in Mike's thread.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I have the Bestman 1, most basic Micarta version. I don't think the BM2 was available when I got mine, and although I don't dislike the BM2 shape, I think the BM1 is a better shape for what I want small pocket knife for. I want a knife that is small to be able to do delicate tasks, I want a point that I can do fine cutting and poking with. The BM2 spear point is likely to be stronger, sure, but it won't dig out a splinter, or make tight turn whittling cuts.

Oops, sorry for hijacking again! Yes, you've summerised my indecision there...losing strength of the 2 for the versatility of the 1....oh, decisions, decisions!

There's always the Whitby version of the TBS boar...very similar though. I don't understand why they stopped making the pk70 . I was lucky to pick a scandi one up recently.. cracking knife :)

Sent from Somerset using magic

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I think I may have found a winner. There have been threads about it on this forum.

I like the look of the handle better than the Boar.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Ben Orford's Nomad is the best I have seen.

I have a Bestman, a Viper Dan2, a modified Boker Slick and have handled a Luna. I think the Bestman is the best of the bunch, but none are Scandi and none are really bushcraft knives, just EDC that can be adjusted to whittle.
The Dan2 has a pretty good handle, thin for bushcraft, but large for EDC, fairly comfy, but the detent keeping the blade open is too weak for bushcraft.
I gave two friends Heinnie red Lunas and was quite concerned about how weak the spring was, that was the softest slip joint I think I have handled. Also, the blade was really thin, sliced cardboard like a laser, but I would not trust it as a wood working tool.
The Slick has a strong back spring and a really deep notch, takes a lot of effort to close, so much so that it is almost risky. That part I could like, but the handle size is so small that it is next to useless. I have medium hands and it isn't possible to grip the handle for wood work without getting cramps, its just too small.

I have a PK70m flat ground, that I need to put a handle on. I would say that the back spring on that is the best on any that I have handled, but it isn't so nice when folded up. It is a shame they do not make them any more.

Do you want a handle guide for the pk70? I have one here you can have if you like.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Cheers Stew. Thank you, but I have a drill guide that came with it. I even have some scales cut, two pairs actually. It just hasn't been high on the list, and I really should get it done!

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
Since my last post I got a field and steel friction folder with a scandi grind (I think he only makes scandi anyway) and I took it to the local park to do some whittling while sitting. Eventhough the handle was not the most comfortable, I have enjoyed every second of it. The one I got is the special one of (100th knife) with copper slabs and black G10 spacer. The thing is very slim and rectangular, perfect for EDC not so much for extenden wood carving. But still OK to use! Now I am hooked up and looking for a stainless friction folder.

Danqrl

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2021
Derbyshire
I have the TBS Boar III folding edc and have been really happy with it, this thread has cost me money now though lol having looked at some of the suggestions people have offered I just ordered a Ben Orford Nomad. I have been thinking about getting a neck knife so ill be looking forward to trying the nomad and comparing it to my TBS Boar

Last edited:

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
I have the TBS Boar III folding edc and have been really happy with it, this thread has cost me money now though lol having looked at some of the suggestions people have offered I just ordered a Ben Orford Nomad. I have been thinking about getting a neck knife so ill be looking forward to trying the nomad and comparing it to my TBS Boar

If it is the green micarta one and you want it to go after the Nomad, please let me know ;)

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Forgot about this thread. I just picked this up from a friend :)

image.jpg

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I think I may have found a winner. There have been threads about it on this forum.

Yep that does look the best option.

Mike will that metal clip just get in the way though.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset

Blimey... according to the Moonraker blurb it's actually handmade by Lars Falt!

Sent from Somerset using magic

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
Following this with interest as in the market For a edc stainless folder , looking at the new tbs boar , out of interest has anyone used a boar for butchering/prepping game ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE