M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, I need a new saw....so

Here is my Lee Reeves belt axe

8) Sharpened and Danish oiled by British Red, on Flickr

10) Completed Axe and Mask by British Red, on Flickr

11) Axe in Mask by British Red, on Flickr

This is a used item with a few marks. I have fitted and tested a replacement curly maple handle made by Lee himself.

The item is described here

http://ssidders.tripod.com/id120.htm

One of the most useful pieces of gear available for hunters or campers. If you have it with you, the chores you find for it are endless. But, it must be light and small enough to carry. This one fills the bill, it is 11" overall. The head is 4"x 2½" (approx.) It weighs about one pound. The head is forged in the manner traditional to blacksmiths since colonial times. The eye and poll are forged in mild steel, then the high carbon steel bit is forge welded in. This gives a head with a malleable eye and poll with a hard cutting edge.

I have had an example through my hands of all Lee's axes. They are without a doubt outstanding. Hand made by a master smith, forge welded from different steels, beautifully presented.

A gransfors mini is a fine axe, but its not a patch on this axe which is made by one of the best axe smiths alive today. If you contact Lee or his lovely wife today, you might get one some time in 2014 if you are lucky. It'll cost you $200 plus international shipping, plus customs, plus VAT plus handling. You won't see any change from £200+.

This used but good condition example can be yours for £120 including fees and shipping - sorry no trades except for a brand new sliding 10" mitre chop saw with laser marker :)

Post on the thread and follow with a PM if you want it

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
And Sold Pending Funds to Andy :)

Could I beat that speed if I sell my complete Nessmuk axe, knife, bag etc.?

I may have to as equipping the man cave is a spendy business :(

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I may have to with huge sadness....even some of my Ceggas may have to go believe it or not. I'm not getting the "woods" time these days, but I just had to hand saw hundreds of lengths of timber....hence needing the chop saw. I need to invest in the workshop to up our self sufficiency as there is only so much you can do without the right tools.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
That's a very pretty axe and i'm glad someone else got it... would have been an expensive day!

Having the simple life is all well and good until you decide you need a laser on your saw!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Chuckle - you are so right! I just built a load of staging using a mitre box and panel saw. It worked fine - but took three days to finish around the other jobs.

We always keep a "manual" alternative to tools (hence my Yankee screwdriver thread) - but nothing beats the right power tool when you have a lot of work to get through!

Would it be weird to use a laser guided chop saw to build a shave horse? :D

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I only have one laser... it's a spirit level thing... pretty handy though!

Nice bench drill, if only I had a bench... and more money... and some time.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Next job is to build a second bench :eek:

When I finished the staging (four of these)

12) Finished Staging Unit by British Red, on Flickr

I got to thinking.....

I have loads of left over timber...and Witham Timber are just down the road for the rest....with a big "scrap" pile :)

Then BB07 made comments about a flat topped reloading bench....and I have a sheet of 18mm ply left....and a load of 2x2...and...well you get the idea :)

And Sold Pending Funds to Andy :)

Could I beat that speed if I sell my complete Nessmuk axe, knife, bag etc.?

I may have to as equipping the man cave is a spendy business :(
yes in a word.
however I thinkin I snapped em up I would be in what's known as deep deep doo doo....
doesn't mean I won't look if you do put them up Hugh. ...
man caves/toddlers/life is all a speedy business. but it's balancing the things you have doing nowt against things you haven't that would get used.
still no fun selling off shiny toys is it

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No its not Sam - but as you say, its about a balance in life. As I get older I want the tools I can use every day in my day to day life. I could work more to buy extra stuff, but the point of our lives here is a more "pared down" life - I can stroll out the front door and check on the bees, look out at the curlews in the field and know there are new foals coming to the mares in the same field. Its a good life - and passing on nice tools that don't get the use now to those who will enjoy them to let us live like this a bit more is kind of like handing on the baton!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE