Leatherwork - fair prices?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
I started learning leather work few years ago, like many for something I wanted (Knife sheath for a knife years old and the original had perished) the first time I got asked to sell some thing I struggled with how much to charge and I honestly still do. (Its a Hobby for me, but I have invested in tools and am recently able to make custom impressions, due to another hobby).
Almost everything Ive made has been to order, although I keep any templetes Ive made then re produce if/when Ive been asked usually coin pouches. I tend to make things & sell cheaper than I should, as the items have been for friends, rather than people I dont know. Ive always been fine with that as long as Im not out of pocket.
But I must admit I have got to the point I turn down making things when someone new says "I hear you do leather work" I have found more people saying "I will give you X pounds to make me this, cos I can get one on ebay for that."
Instantly, Im not interested.
So whats a fair price to pay for "hand made personal to you Leather products" my answer is basically "what you are happy paying"

As a person who makes, only a few times have I experienced friends giving me extra and saying no its worth more than that...Thankyou.

Which is a nice to hear, but I also dont say how long something has taken to make (due to design, hand stitching, tooling and dye work) it almost never justify's payment I've recieved but like I have stated, Im fine with that, if its for actual friends and Im not out of pocket.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I started learning leather work few years ago, like many for something I wanted (Knife sheath for a knife years old and the original had perished) the first time I got asked to sell some thing I struggled with how much to charge and I honestly still do. (Its a Hobby for me, but I have invested in tools and am recently able to make custom impressions, due to another hobby).
Almost everything Ive made has been to order, although I keep any templetes Ive made then re produce if/when Ive been asked usually coin pouches. I tend to make things & sell cheaper than I should, as the items have been for friends, rather than people I dont know. Ive always been fine with that as long as Im not out of pocket.
But I must admit I have got to the point I turn down making things when someone new says "I hear you do leather work" I have found more people saying "I will give you X pounds to make me this, cos I can get one on ebay for that."
Instantly, Im not interested.
So whats a fair price to pay for "hand made personal to you Leather products" my answer is basically "what you are happy paying"

As a person who makes, only a few times have I experienced friends giving me extra and saying no its worth more than that...Thankyou.

Which is a nice to hear, but I also dont say how long something has taken to make (due to design, hand stitching, tooling and dye work) it almost never justify's payment I've recieved but like I have stated, Im fine with that, if its for actual friends and Im not out of pocket.

My general mates rates for a full custom knife (blade, handle, sheath) is £20! :D Makes them happy that they’ve paid something, makes me happy that I’ve made them something.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
As to understanding the market, it’s tricky. Too many factors. Is it a main income, are they trying to get a bit of profit or are they just covering material costs (a lot price like that). Brand reputation, optimism, naivety and so on.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
FWIW, I have asked several craftsman what a piece would cost, I’m fully aware that it won’t be cheap, that’s what eBay is for, sometimes it means that the item goes onto my wish list for when I have some spare cash/birthday or I consign my self to something less.

I would never tell someone I thought they were charging too much as that would devalue them and their work.

Eg. My wife wanted a stitch ripper shaped like a pen. The quote was £20, allowing for parts, time and profit - it’s a business for him - I could afford it so I ordered it and made my wife happy.
A plastic one from the shop would cost less than £2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE