Leatherman

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dazrick

Jul 17, 2010
Birmingham
I want to get a Leatherman to use for bush-craft/survival, it will be used in conjunction with a bush-craft blade so it wont be used heavily.
I can't decide between the Wave and the Charge TTi.
The wave has tons of reviews for being excellent in the field, but I've read mixed reviews about how comfortable it is to hold.
The Charge TTi is has a higher grade steel and is supposed to be comfortable to hold.
Which would anyone here recommend.
I'm only going to buy one, and the higher price doesn't bother me, I'm only concerned about its functionality and comfortability.
I still deciding whether to get a SAK too but right now the Leatherman is my main focus

And advice will be most appreciated.

Darran

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
I have charge tti. I love it but the Wave is pretty much the same as regards the tool selection. I chose the tti because it has a serrated blade with cutting hook AND a scissors as well as having only one small screwdriver (glasses size tiny).
The tti is well made but expensive. I got one for £99 via Amazon, but they go for £130+ usually. A Wave is usually a lot less.

PM me if you need specific info on the Charge TTi.

Hywel

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
No experience of the TTi but I've got a wave that I carry and use a lot. The grip isn't very comfortable, verging on uncomfortable if you're using the saw for an extended period. I have it as a backup as I usually have a folding saw and fixed blade if I'm out and about. It's very solidly built and I have a lot of confidence in it. Hope this helps.

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
I have a surge and I have no complaints. Every task I give it, it stands up to. It comes with a lot of tools that a bushcrafter / makerwould need (for example an awl). There is a great serrated blade for cuttign through rope (and my finger), a saw (which I cut my whole christmas tree into car sized bits with), a file + diamond file (which is always useful for sharpening) Pliers, wire cutters and wire strippers speak for themselves.

http://www.leatherman.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=8&f=6&c=1

madra

Oct 6, 2008
the intarweb
personally i think leathermans* are overpriced and over-rated.

i originally had the original old supertool. after about four or five years, when i'd managed to break one of the knives, the can-opener and one of the screwdrivers, i bought myself a surge. it's a lot more comfortable to hold, but the pursuit of ergonomics seems to have had a detrimental effect on build quality; the surge seems a lot flimsier than the old supertool was - the pliers especially are prone to twisting quite a bit if you accidentally apply any kind of lateral force to them. i've probably had the surge about three or four years now and have only managed to snap the end off the can opener and break the awl [so far!]

i think next time i might look at one of the alternatives, such as a gerber or spyderco tool although i'm not expecting them to live up to the advertising blurb either. i find that a lot of american made gear is of pretty average quality. they just know how to shamelessly hype better than manufacturers from most other countries.

that said, if you're really set on a leatherman and you've know someone with a costco card, you can get them there at wholesale prices [my surge was £50-ish from costco, when they were £80+ in the shops] - although costco only seem to stock one particular model at a time, not the full range.

[* - or should that be 'leathermen'?]

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I've got a Leatherman PST given it in 2003, great little tool, I damaged the small flat screwdriver, sent it to leatherman's hq in portland oregon and they repaired it and posted it back free of charge, Coolio!

Jul 8, 2008
Thringstone
i have a wave, the only problem i have had is not only the un comfortable grip, but on quite a few occasions the pliers have slipped off whatever i've been gripping ,giving me quite a large blood blister!

dozzer

Forager
Jun 24, 2010
dundee
hi darran,

i have a wave a charge tti and a blast, the wave is the best overall as the tti seems to be more of a gimmick if im honest (i was sucked in lol) but the blast would probably be your best option as its got all the features, its reasonably comfy to hold and their is less chance of pinching your palm when using the pliers than the other 2. only thing is the wave has a far easier way of getting to the blades but it does cost 2x as much :)

Jun 13, 2010
North Wales
If you're not too fussed about the knife being your main cutting tool, then check out SOG. The Powerlock tool is a monster in terms of pliers but has a bit of a naff blade. You can customise your 'loadout' using hex keys and tools from SOG. They are like tanks too but too 'agricultural' for some.
www.heinnie.com has them at a decent price.

susi

Nomad
Jul 23, 2008
Finland
I had a similar dilemma a couple of years ago, between the Wave and the SwissTool. Ended up going for the SwissTool because:

- It's stronger
- It isn't as stiff as the Wave
- It feels to be better engineered, the pliers meet perfectly.
- It's European, support at least some "local" jobs
- My mate's had the SwissTool for about 12 years, uses it daily, and whilst the wear shows, it still functions perfectly.

Dazrick

Jul 17, 2010
Birmingham
I will have a main blade and also a folding saw, and the Leatherman will only be used as and when I can't use said blade and saw.
However if I come into a situation where I need to use it often it will be used heavily (Think Les Stroud Multi-tool Usage) and so it needs to be comfortable to use, so that's why I've decided to get the Charge TTi.
(Hopefully something like this will never come to pass, but I'm nothing if not cautious, I like to try and plan for the worst)

Also Swisstool was mentioned, which one would you recommend

Last edited:

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I have a surge and I have no complaints. Every task I give it, it stands up to. It comes with a lot of tools that a bushcrafter / makerwould need (for example an awl). There is a great serrated blade for cuttign through rope (and my finger), a saw (which I cut my whole christmas tree into car sized bits with), a file + diamond file (which is always useful for sharpening) Pliers, wire cutters and wire strippers speak for themselves.

http://www.leatherman.co.uk/products/product.asp?id=8&f=6&c=1

i have a surge myself, and i have to say its a lot better that the gerber legend i used to carry....

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
My for the Core, I think it's the one the British army are now issuing. I have one and it's just so solid, completely bomb proof. Plus it's a fraction of the price!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE