Leatherman Surge or Leatherman Wave? Your Opinions....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I looked at both links and can't see a metal hacksaw on the Surge? The Wave has one, at least my older version does and it saved my bacon once so I would not be without a way to cut metal.

paul atkin

Forager
Dec 15, 2010
york
paulatkin.co.uk
Surge all the way with me, i bought mine in the US for 80 dollars in 2005, it has been on my belt most of the time since then. The big advantage over the wave is that it will hold any standard jigsaw blade, wood cutting/metal even ceramic tiles, you can also take out the diamond file and sharpen it whilst out and about. I had a wave and traded it on, the surge is as good as the day i got it after much use. the supertools are ok but you need to open the thing up to get to the blades, simple one handed afair with the surge

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I bought a Surge as a Costco deal, it came with a set of slim hex tools, a sturdy leather sheath and another folding blade lock knife.
The standard tool comes with the diamond sided file but I soon got hold of the longest wood and metal saw blades that would fit between the tool holder and the back of the sheath.
It is a beast of a tool, large and heavy so if you have small hands or don't want the weight, choose something smaller.

A point about the saws, the Surge makes for a huge handle - and even with the saws I have, it makes for awkward sawing if you want to do anything other than open up a small, or perform an occasional cut.

The Surge vies for position on my belt with a Victorinox (IIRC) Swiss Tool X that has scissors instead of a second blade.

Both are well engineered with very positive lock mechanisms and a good "feel" to each, with little monetary difference between them.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have a current edition Wave and have owned several other leathermans larger or smaller (but not the Surge). I keep thinking that there is probably a better tool out there for me but have not yet found it. The Wave has been at my side for seven or eight years and is used daily.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Thanks for all the feedback. I was leaning towards the Wave, the spectacles screwdriver would be especially useful when out and about. I assume the surge could be fitted with one from the leatherman bit set??

I also like the idea of fitting jig saw blades as a small hacksaw would be very useful when travelling and in an emergency. The weight is off putting though, when it's to be worn on my belt daily.

troutman

Nomad
May 14, 2012
North East (UK)
Upon proper inspection I see that a spectacles screwdriver is included in the Surge, which I think I may go for due to its multiple functions which would be ideal when travelling when a tool kit is nowhere near to hand!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE