Leatherman ''BOND''

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Heinnie had that as an email notification.

I will pass on what was said by the policeman who gave the knife law work shop at the Moot. He used a Leatherman Micra (the little pair of scissors with non-locking blades) as an example. Food for thought, as it were.

While the blade is non-locking, in that there is no lock mechanism, the blade does not readily completely fold closed without a secondary operation being performed, namely opening the two handles.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
At £60 it's a lot cheaper than some of their other models too.

Someone on the mto.org forum has already put scissors and a saw in one so it's good to know that's possible

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent

I will pass on what was said by the policeman who gave the knife law work shop at the Moot. He used a Leatherman Micra (the little pair of scissors with non-locking blades) as an example. Food for thought, as it were.

While the blade is non-locking, in that there is no lock mechanism, the blade does not readily completely fold closed without a secondary operation being performed, namely opening the two handles.
I always wondered about that, and asked a police officer friend, he said it was down to interpretation

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset

Yes, there was some debate about this on a Facebook group. It's a real shame the blade isn't on the outside when the tool is folded so as it could fold completely shut.

Sent from Somerset using magic

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Historically, I have not been overly impressed by the Leatherman 'thang'. I had a Wave, which seemed to promise the world but delivered very little - and that grudgingly. The wire cutters deformed on their third outing cutting wire, meaning that I then could not open them without the help of my SAK. The blade and many of the tools were not really fit for purpose, bending and flexing in fairly light use. It was uncomfortable and lumpish in the hand. BUT, I am still interested in a replacement for my Wave and thought that this might just tick that box for me. So, I, too, am interested to hear why Leatherman's new incarnation is crap.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
So for folk who are wondering what Matt is on about.
The Rebar has carbide wire cutters, a serrated blade, saw, measure markings and all tools lock. £69.95
The Rebar EDC, for the UK market, still has a saw and carbide cutters, no blades, addition of scissors, all locking. £77.95
The Bond has no carbide, no scissors, no saw, no serrated blade, no lock, no measure marks, other tools the same. £59.95

I don't think "crap" is the right term if those are the reasons for the assessment, since what is there should be as good as on any Leatherman, but it does seem a lacking. Maybe it is the economics of scale and such models don't sell widely, but the pricing of UK legal models with fewer features and using simpler construction is counter intuitive and disappointing.

Reactions: BigMonster

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Good explanation, thank you.

So not priced very well considering what you can get for an extra £20.

You're right, it's probably economics of scale. Games Workshop do a similar thing with their Warhammer 40K models

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have been a big fan of leatherman tools for a while, and to be honest I have been turned off from all the newer tools since the MUT came out. I do have the MUT.

Everything since have been lacking for me, and a chance purchase of the Victorinox SwissTool multi tool has really challenged my view of multi tools, it is so much more polished finish wise, very strong and life time warranty....only thing I would change is the blade shape, that leatherman have got spot on.

As for recommendation, if going leatherman I would go with the wave+, over the rebar.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
So for folk who are wondering what Matt is on about.
The Rebar has carbide wire cutters, a serrated blade, saw, measure markings and all tools lock. £69.95
The Rebar EDC, for the UK market, still has a saw and carbide cutters, no blades, addition of scissors, all locking. £77.95
The Bond has no carbide, no scissors, no saw, no serrated blade, no lock, no measure marks, other tools the same. £59.95
It's also worth mentioning that the Rebar EDC might not actually be a legal EDC as you can argue that the awl has a cutting edge and locks, and the saw blade locks so it is in a grey area of locking knifes/tools. Given how the 'guilty until proven innocent' UK knife law seem to work I wouldn't risk it.
The Rebar was also available for under £50 when I bought it in 2018 which made it at least £50 cheaper than the Wave+ which got you a scissors, tools on the outside and one hand opening for the knife. I wish I'd gone for the Wave instead now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE