Leather

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I know that this has come up before, but...

Eric kindly gave me some offcuts of veg tanned leather, which I have now used up making things. I'm not a fanatical or skillfull leathercrafter but i'd like to do a bit more. I was going to order some approx 3mm thick veg tanned leather from Le Prevo but I see you have to order a 'side' or a 'shoulder' which means something like 12 to 16 square foot at over £3 a square foot. I had in mind that three or four square feet would be sufficient for me. I'm really just dabbling with it.

Any suggestions? I'd willingly buy some from anyone who has a surplus, and don't mind paying a bit more than LePrevo's prices, given that cutting it will cause some wastage. Or if three or four others have similar needs I could order a 12 -16 sq foot piece and divi it up. Would this be a feasible option?

Suggestions welcome.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
hi Doc, I'd phone Leprevo and discuss it with them. I found them very helpful when I was ordering leather last month.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
I talked to a guy in a leather furniture shop and told him of my interest and he gave me leather samples from the previous years sample book each about 7"x5" ideal for stitching practice and small items some weird colours too.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello :)
i'd be up for a bit aswell if you find you have to get the big piece. Is the thickness you are getting the right stuff for sheathmaking?
edit- i think it says 3.5mm shoulder in rapidboy's sheathmaking tutorial.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Doc said:

Eric kindly gave me some offcuts of veg tanned leather, which I have now used up making things. I'm not a fanatical or skillfull leathercrafter but i'd like to do a bit more. I was going to order some approx 3mm thick veg tanned leather from Le Prevo but I see you have to order a 'side' or a 'shoulder' which means something like 12 to 16 square foot at over £3 a square foot. I had in mind that three or four square feet would be sufficient for me. I'm really just dabbling with it.

Any suggestions? I'd willingly buy some from anyone who has a surplus, and don't mind paying a bit more than LePrevo's prices, given that cutting it will cause some wastage. Or if three or four others have similar needs I could order a 12 -16 sq foot piece and divi it up. Would this be a feasible option?

Suggestions welcome.
If anyone was up for a group buy of tan leather I would be up for a couple or four square foot, at roughly the price quoted plus postage, I need some to make a cover for my hatchet, knife (to replace the naff plastic one) and folding saw (plus a case or pouch for bits and bobs)

pm me if this happens

Tadpole

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
wanderinstar said:
What thickness of leather would you need to make a possibles pouch?
Ian.
The leather used in the possibles pouches they sell at the Survival school shop are 2.6 to 3 mm so I would think that might be a good place to start.
;)
I am not a leather worker, nor do I play one on television :p

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Looks like there is interest. I will phone Le Prevo and get back to you all. No commitment at this stage.

Veg tanned leather is undyed - sort of a pinkish light tan. You dye it after the sewing bit. Rapidboy did a great tutorial on it. The Brisa website also has info.

I've actually managed to dye the stuff an even tan with shoe polish dissolved in meths, but I thought this time I'd order some leather dye.

I figured 3 to 3.5mm would be reasonably suitable for sheaths and pouches. In any case there may be variation in thickness across the piece.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Did anything come of this? I'd be interested in a few feet to have a go at making a first sheath, but I too wouldn't need a whole hide. Anyone else still interested?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
me three I am still keen to get some veg tanned stuff, enough to make a hatchet cover and a sheath for a knife or four

I think Leprevo will sell you what ever size you need.
I got this reply from them when I emailed to ask about hide sizes :

"Sheath makers often buy a "B004" belt strip.

This can be cut to any width and is around 4 ft long

We stock a number of standard widths but can cut any width you require. They
are priced pro-rata @ £2.44 per 1"width. IE a 3½" strip would be 3.5 x £2.44
= £8.40

regards
Stu"

I havnt got around to ordering yet but I will in the New Year

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Doc said:

Suggestions welcome.

Well, I don't know how practical this would be for you, but I just purchased a half hide of 5 oz (no idea how that equates to 3mm) cowhide from e-bay for $19.00 - including shipping. As it was in the US - I don't know what shipping would cost you - still, it was a very low purchase price. Seems like they have good leather deals on e-bay all the time.

PG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE