Leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I'm after a not to large amount of leather, I'm having no luck skinning a sofa locally I was just wondering where people get their leather off cuts from?

Sent from somewhere?

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Try some of the nice furniture shops for old sample books. Wonderful quality/variety of colors/limited sizes but...............free. Can make nice pouches from them.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
You could have a word with the guys at the Local council tipping sites, see if they could maybe hold you back some Leather suits for you. donate a fiver or whatever into there Coffee and Milk fund. Though times have changed from when you could go in and slip them a couple of quid for anything and just about everything....Health and Safety has a lot to answer to.

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
Though times have changed from when you could go in and slip them a couple of quid for anything and just about everything....Health and Safety has a lot to answer to.

Nowt to do with H&S it's who legally owns the waste. Once it's been deposited it lawfully belongs to the council and to remove it is theft.

XRV John

Nomad
Jan 23, 2015
Scunthorpe
Well, usually, a wee bit o' a blether and a packet o' biscuits sorts that oot.
Funnily enough I am disciplining people for that when they applied the same rules to scrap metal and white goods.

Mind you they were getting brown envelopes but the law applies equally to both situations

ANPR and CCTV are wonderful tools

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I do agree in principle but scrap metal prices at £5-6000 a tonne and the leather of a settee that will be burned v broon envelopes and bickies?

The other thin is a hard neck! See one outside in the street, ask who left it there and take the bits you want. Nobody ever owns up or stops you.

How big a bit you looking for?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You need transfer stations as we have here.
Sort out your waste, bins for metal, wood, kitchen mess, piles for everything from appliances and dead BBQ propane tanks and car batteries to un-needed pallets.
Even a "Swap Shed" to put things that somebody else might use (books, coats, dishes, etc.)
Essentially, I live in the boreal mountain forest. The transfer station has put an end to dumping in the forest. It all just too easy = drive in, drive in a big circle
and get rid of everything.
I've gone in to find a giant screen TV sitting there for the taking. Need a blower fan from a dead electric clothes dryer? Bring youor own tools.

Years ago in the city, there was a very efficient crew of people who went diving in the bins for whatever they could recycle.
They were banned for liabitity fears. Now everything in the city goes into the same hole in the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I do agree in principle but scrap metal prices at £5-6000 a tonne and the leather of a settee that will be burned v broon envelopes and bickies?

The other thin is a hard neck! See one outside in the street, ask who left it there and take the bits you want. Nobody ever owns up or stops you.

How big a bit you looking for?

Sorry not been back to this thread for a while😊 I fancy having a go at making a pouch so about 15-18 inches square

Sent from somewhere?

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Sorry not been back to this thread for a while😊 I fancy having a go at making a pouch so about 15-18 inches square

Sent from somewhere?

Leather sample from shops should do if you get normal size. Some books are slightly smaller though. Use one for bottom and seperate one for side. Or, you can join 2 together.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE