leather working equipment

big_daddy_merc

Forager
Apr 9, 2007
chesterfield
hi,
i'd like to have a bash at leather working, so i'm asking the leather worker here to give a leather newbie a helping hand to find the equipment, how to guides and the most important bit the leather

any help will greatfully accepted

cheers
Simon

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
It depends what you want to make. I make sheaths so I use the following:

Vegetable tanned shoulder leather 3.5mm thick
Linen thread
2/0 saddlery needles
awl to make holes
Stitich wheel to mark the holes for the awl
Edger to round of the leather edge for a nicer finish but you can also use fine sandpaper
Adjustable groover to make a groove for the stitches to be recessed in.
Contact adhesive
Leather dye
Neats foot compound
Beeswax
A good book on the subject

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
BDM, Most folks either start off with leather gleaned from the local charity shops (Old boots, handbags, jackets and the like) or they get their supplies from places like Le Prevo or The Identity Store.
Both of those companies are also good for the tools you will want (as well as many other places, of course)

As for the tools themselves, you probably have some that are good for the job already. I'd recommend starting out with...

A "Stanley" type knife,
A Steel rule,
Good cutting board (doing leather work on an unprotected dining table tends to lead to problems with SWMBO)
Waxed thread,
Suitable needles (Leatherwork needles are NOT sharply pointed like sewing needles but are more like a "bodkin" type as you are effectively only using them to pass through holes already made)
A #2 Edging tool (best all-round size to have)
An Awl,
A stitching wheel,
Adjustable stitch groover.
A piece of bone or plastic for burnishing edges with,
fine Wet-n-dry paper for sanding and smoothing edges prior to burnishing.

Check out the various "How to" tutorials on the site and have a go at it ! Any problems, give a shout and there are plenty of folks here who will come to the rescue. ;)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
boisdevie said:
Here's a handy tip. Via freecycle I found a leather sofa. So that's loads of decent quality black leather for free. Ideal for practising with.
another source is the local furniture shop ask them for a sample book for an old range of sofas.
Many handy sized strange coloured bits of leather in a book.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Shing said:
It depends what you want to make. I make sheaths so I use the following:

Vegetable tanned shoulder leather 3.5mm thick
Linen thread
2/0 saddlery needles
awl to make holes
Stitich wheel to mark the holes for the awl
Edger to round of the leather edge for a nicer finish but you can also use fine sandpaper
Adjustable groover to make a groove for the stitches to be recessed in.
Contact adhesive
Leather dye
Neats foot compound
Beeswax
A good book on the subject

That's really useful, thanks for your effort. Where's the best place to get this stuff from and please could you estimate the cost.

Thanks again,

Andy

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
thanks, I buy most of leather and leather tools from Leprevo.co.uk.

Most of the tools are under £10 each. The leather is usually sold in large pieces typically 10-15 sq ft and leprevo like most leather sellers do not sell by the sq foot. You may get off cuts on ebay occasionally or maybe contact someone who uses leather like a shoe repairer and they may have off cuts that might by usable.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Shing said:
thanks, I buy most of leather and leather tools from Leprevo.co.uk.

Most of the tools are under £10 each. The leather is usually sold in large pieces typically 10-15 sq ft and leprevo like most leather sellers do not sell by the sq foot. You may get off cuts on ebay occasionally or maybe contact someone who uses leather like a shoe repairer and they may have off cuts that might by usable.

Many thanks

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE