leather work advice

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
A simple leather pouch can be made from the kind of leather that jackets are made from. You can get these from either boot fairs or charity shops. Make sure you get an old jacket with lots of large panels of plain leather - not those ones that have been stitched together from lots of small squares.
Anyway. You then cut a large rectangular piece - twice the size of the pouch you want - and then fold it in half and stitch it along two edges, so that it leaves an open top. Which you then cut small holes in to thread a piece of cord.
Voila! One draw string pouch!
It's really very simple.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Hi
You will need an idea of what you want it to look like, them make a pattern
Some suitable leather. For a tinder pouch you can probably reclaim from an old leather bag or sofa
an awl of some kind I started with one made out of an old dart but have since picked up proper ones at car boot sales
a knife or scissors to cut the leather
a suitable needle
some waxed linen thread
a stitch marker ,to begin with the tines of a fork will do
For a closure system to start with a simple drawstring works well on a tinder pouch
Something like this can be made as simple or complex as you wish
I tend to keep things simple and merely enjoy the fact that I have made it
Some of the more skilled and experienced leatherworkers move into more complex and decorative stuff which is way beyond me but extremely professional looking
I am sure more specific advice will be available should you require it but I hope this helps you get started

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
If it's a pouch made from fairly thin leather, don't necessarily bother with the saddler's needles, awl and stitch marker, try a leather sewing needle that you can get from a needlework shop (triangular section needle). I find that this works perfectly well for small bags made from softer/thinner leathers. If you do want to mark the holes evenly, just use the prongs on a dining fork.

Geoff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE