Leather Strop

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
S

sugs04

Hi All,

Just finished my first leatherwork and my Knife now has a sheath. :) I'll post some pics when my camera is charged.

Now, I'm wondering about my next project as I have quite a lot of leather still to use. I'm planning a quiver and armguard for archery but I also could do with a strop to keep my knife in tip top shape.

I haven't been able to find any examples of strop making through the search, so is it as straightforward as it looks? I was thinking a metal loop at each end of a belt strip.

The leather I have is 3.5 mm veg tanned - is that the right sort and would I need to treat it with anything?

Thanks

Sugs

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
sugs04 said:
Hi All,

Just finished my first leatherwork and my Knife now has a sheath. :) I'll post some pics when my camera is charged.

Now, I'm wondering about my next project as I have quite a lot of leather still to use. I'm planning a quiver and armguard for archery but I also could do with a strop to keep my knife in tip top shape.

I haven't been able to find any examples of strop making through the search, so is it as straightforward as it looks? I was thinking a metal loop at each end of a belt strip.

The leather I have is 3.5 mm veg tanned - is that the right sort and would I need to treat it with anything?

Thanks

Sugs
When i think of a leather strop I think of the style my barber uses.
it looks like the one at the bottom of this page.
http://www.survivalschool.co.uk/acatalog/Leather_Goods.html
I think that you can also glue a piece of leather to a board, and use that to strop as well.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I'm about to do a pay it forward on these so if you're interested drop me a PM :D

I have made 4 and will will happily give to those who need one, can't post till the weekend though. :)

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
sugs04 said:
I was thinking a metal loop at each end of a belt strip.

Sugs
Sugs,
I'd go careful if you put a metal loop on a strop, theres just too much chance of putting a "Dink" in the freshly stropped edge ;)

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE