Leather stitching question.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Hi folks.

After a great weekend at the Bushcraft show I now have a few projects to attend to!!!!

I've got some nice soft thin leather to make a Sami style coffee pouch. I was thinking of adding in a welt of leather but it still seems too soft to use an awl and 2 needles.

Is there another locking kind of stitch that I could use with one needle to sew it up? Just wondering if the Sami people used 2 needles made of bone for delicate work! There work seems to have lasted.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
Steveie777.

I forgot to add that I wanted to add a bit authenticity to it. I've machine stitched previous ones and hand stitched with 2 needles before but thought I would try something different. Thanks anyway.:eek:

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
I saddle stitch all my leather projects, be it garment leather, veg tan or oiled waxed leather.

depending on the thickness of the leather you have, such as thin garment leathers, I sometimes find it easier to just stitch with a glover's needle and saddler's as oppossed to using an awl at all.

hope this helps,

Ste

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Cheers guys. Back stitch experiment coming up. Glovers needles to be ordered. Thanks again. Brian

I like back stitch ~ come up on the same side each time and you get a _kind of_ rope twist effect, come up on alternating sided gives you a _kind of_ 2 tiers of bricks effect :) .

With back stitch one side will be decorative whilst the other looks like saddle stitch.

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I like back stitch ~ come up on the same side each time and you get a _kind of_ rope twist effect, come up on alternating sided gives you a _kind of_ 2 tiers of bricks effect :) .

With back stitch one side will be decorative whilst the other looks like saddle stitch.

Cheers. I'll give those a try and see how it looks. thanks very much:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE