Leather scraps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
A break from the Fonds...I am sorting out my leather kit.

Which has seemed to have bred....

I am busy cleaning up some nice vintage handbags...some I will sell as is, and others I need to restitch, and some I will put belt loops on the back.

I am also sorting my scraps.

Trouble is, I have too many that are too small to make pouches with. (I am going to make a few pouches....always handy to have a few for sundry purposes.)

What could I do with them? I never like to waste leather. Even the cheap stuff is valuable

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Those are all good ideas.

What does the archery stuff look like?

I'm in exactly the same dilemma; I hate throwing away even the smallest bit!

A finger tab, in it's simplest form, is just a piece of leather with holes cut in that you put your fingers through (usually two) that protects the tips of the fingers from the string when you draw the bow. A bit like this:

finger tab.jpg

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Broch is right about the tab, and chrome tanned is ideal for it. A string keeper is also best made from chrome tanned. Here is one I made last year:

26750954026_9187153863_c.jpg

26750954426_38338c07fa_c.jpg

Reactions: MrEd and Toddy

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
tap washers, soft feet for ornaments, shredded and gunged up with resin to make woodturning blanks? Laminated with resin to make knife handles (layers similar to laminated denim, not stacked like a puukko)?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE