Leather sandbag

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I picked up a couple of surplus sheet metal beating hammers at the carboot on Sunday and after polishing the heads to remove the storage tarnish. Earlier I'd picked up a creasing hammer with the vague intention of trying to do some tinsmithing.

Anyroad I decided to make a leather sandbag to support what ever poor, benighted piece of metal I'm going to abuse. I cut two 8 inch circles of 2mm leather, which was the biggest I could get from the scraps I have on hand and using strong linen thread saddle stitched it twice round, leaving a inch gap to stick a funnel in to fill it. I poured in about a pound and a half of clean dry sand and finished off the stitching.

image_zpsc1a4fe62.jpg

Its not perfect but it will do to for learning on I reckon.

Should I treat the leather with anything before I start?

ATB

Tom

Correction, Jnr just weighed it and all in all it is half a ounce under 2 pounds, it swallowed more sand than I thought.

Last edited:

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Last time I used one of those was 35 years ago... From what I remember they were left un-treated.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
That looks good, nice work. I seem to remember them being left untreated too. Best of luck for the metal beating :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folks! I need to find my books, and something decent to batter. At the moment there's just some sweet tin lids....

i've completely forgotten about annealing etc, not done more than a simple crease/bend since school.

I need to keep my eye out for some proper doming hammers, I've several ball peins with half decently radiussed (?) balls it it would be nice to have the real thing.

atb

Tom

PS just spent the morning fettling all my hammers (grinding deep scratches out, polishing faces, oiling, cleaning and oiling handles, thankfully no handles needed replacing) not including wooden mallets and sledge hammers there's 30 of the suckers and I'm still looking for some.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE