Leather question??

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
OK I'm thinking of making a few axe masks for my axes that don't have them. My question is what sort of leather do you think would be best and also what's the best way to go about making them? or should I just get them commissioned from one of the makers? Any input greatly appreciated

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Give it it a go, it's great fun working leather...........I'd go along with 3mm veg tanned.............Have a look around on the forum there are plenty of threads discussing axe masks & you'll get a better idea of the style you prefer...........one piece of advice I would give is to make paper/card patterns before cutting the leather.
If you only want small pieces of leather the bay is a good place to look; either dyed or natural.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
My 3mm sheath cut straight through in Sweden and cut straight through the other side in the plane hold. Also sliced through the Kevlar thread I used to make it.

With a lack of thicker 5mm leather, I'm currently doing one for the HB chopping axe from 3mm PE1000 toboggan sheet and anodised ally rivets. :viking: This one won't cut through or go brittle in the cold. :)

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I used much heavier red leather and while its strong, it did kill my dremelalike making threadholes :) If you're buying a full skin, would it affect your choice to using remnants for odd jobs? I like to keep all my kit fairly uniformly sheathed for ID.... mine had a shiny finish that looks great but was a complete beeatch to get oils soaking in- however it does shed water really well. I wonder if theres any benefit in choosing chrome over veg tanned as you are a subzero ice god?! One might perform better at temp extremes :confused:

I'd make your own just for the kudos and learning experience :)

hahaha mostly answered by young teepee ice god in a cross post ;) Ohh I had a nice pic of various axe sheaths on my pinterest bushcrafting board, theres a fair few ideas on there

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE