Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Part of my course...

I have decided on;

A bucket (Mary Rose)
A Roman bag
Oetzis belt

I need more suggestions...any time period.

Its got to be something well documented (an actual example better )and EVERY DAY

One of my ideas is two pilgrims bags. (were they called scrips? I cant remember) For Chaucers characters, one will be cheapo basic (The Millers, say) and the other will be fancy. (The Wife of Baths?) This will demonstrate the difference between the rich and poors kit.

(We also get the Cornish Pilgrims angle in here too.)

Has anyones a good pic of Oetzis belt? (Oetzi is being very helpful as usual.) The museum website says its made from Calfskin...but where would you find a calf that would give a long enough strip of leather to go round your waist and tie??

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Primitive ways wabsite has some pretty good info on Oetzi and his equipment, plus some pretty good links to related stuff.

atb
Ste

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
Does it have to be from the UK?
.......how about Native American items?
or How about a milkman or bus conductors leather pouch........like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-L...294?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ae98da20e - could always adapt fastenings/size etc. Pouches like this have been in use for 100's of years?

The Identity Store might be able to help with calfskin - might be worth contacting them......http://www.theidentitystore.co.uk/ I've always found them very knowledgeable + helpful

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
How about a scroll of some sort?
Vellum (goatskin) or Parchment (cowhide) or Kelmscot (unborn calfskin)
Could make a scroll tube to contain them too.
Plenty of information available too.
Cheers, Simon

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
It has to be on the national curriculum, and no, a plague mask is not really an every day item (say, something we would use today and be familiar with.)

I suggested parchment, but thats a future project. A scroll case might be good

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
How about a Market Wallet? Quite easy to make and were in common use for hundreds of years; very nice thing to use, keeps your pockets empty in Summer when you don't want to wear much clothing.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
How about a medieval hawking bag?
A sporran
tankard
school satchel if you want something more modern
A Viking hat

Does it have to be soft leather? I saw a lovely little pot with lid made from rawhide at the Bushcraft Show last weekend.

As for the belt, you simply cut a spiral rather than try to get a straight piece. Leather will stretch and accommodate the shape, and a curved belt more comfortable anyway.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tengu, I have patterns for courrans, and I have some pretty worn out ones too if they'd be of use. I just make myself new ones as I need.
My shoes are pretty small, so my pattern fits schoolkids quite well.

Happy to draft a copy and post it to you. I also have the pattern for my medieval boots too…with the triangular gusset/heel of Viking shoes.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE