Leather lace "permanent" knot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
I've made myself a leather overstrike protector for my axe and done a simple "shoe" lace with leather lacing along the back but I can't think of any small knots suitable for finishing it off. Obviously, a bow's just not suitable.

Any suggestions?

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Lace it back through the holes until tight and either cut it off or pull to the inside and cut off. If it's tight it won't come undone, if you are worried about it put a dob of Boston inside

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Assuming there's a need to keep the sleeve tight, you could use the same technique I use for "leathering" the eye of a wire splice.
Just heave the lacing tightly and having very slightly enlarged the last of the hole pairs, cross and tuck the ends so that the ends can make another half-turn, which leaves them emerging on the underside. For extra friction, you could take another turn with each end, though I have never found it necessary

Then simply Reef Knot the ends tightly , then push that knot beneath the edge of the sleeve, where it will not be subjected to damage.
Regards
Ceeg

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
I ended up using a reef knot on its own. However, I hadn't accounted for the leather stretching slightly over time - the result being that, after re-tightening the lace twice, there's no gap between it's ends now and it doesn't seem to matter how tight I get the lace - The leather still slips quite easily :banghead:

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Take the leather sleeve off, wrap the axe handle with double sided carpet fixing tape and then refit the leather sleeve then haul it taught, finish the lacing as Seagull suggested.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Assuming there's a need to keep the sleeve tight, you could use the same technique I use for "leathering" the eye of a wire splice.
Just heave the lacing tightly and having very slightly enlarged the last of the hole pairs, cross and tuck the ends so that the ends can make another half-turn, which leaves them emerging on the underside. For extra friction, you could take another turn with each end, though I have never found it necessary

Then simply Reef Knot the ends tightly , then push that knot beneath the edge of the sleeve, where it will not be subjected to damage.
Regards
Ceeg

Which is what I said

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE