Leather - finishes, firmness and form help needed

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
So I have a few different projects in mind and I'm struggling to find suitable leather, I understand some of the differences in origin weight and thickness but I am at a bit of a loss as to some of the finer points.

One of my intended projects is a Notebook caddie similar to this one

notebook.jpg

I can find leather that has the same worn in look which works but its much thicker and still seems to be less ridged.

Can anyone advise what I should be looking for in leather if I want thin yet ridged?

Brandon-C

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2017
Highlands
I'm no expert leather worker but make sure the leather is full gain this keeps the top layer of skin on the leather and makes it more ridged. Also if you are only looking at preworn leather then you might have better luck looking at veg tan leather and finishing it yourself with dye.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Ah saw them mentioned on EDCF recently. They do look nice. P&P was silly though.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
The two best ways to harden leather are water hardening and hot waxing. It's always best to begin with a good quality top grain veg tan leather.
For this, you should get more than enough rigidity by wet moulding the two front pouches.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
1.5-2mm veg tan shoulder & medium brown dye would probably get you where you want to go. Looks like waxed cotton thread. It ought to be plenty stiff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE