leather cup?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Anyone ever made a leather cup/tankard?

I would like one but am unsure how to make one,

Any pointers would be good

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Didn't make one but I have a couple of leather tankards - they are pitch sealed though so good only for cold drink (e.g. BEER) :D

Happy to bung some photos up if they help

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
British Red said:
Didn't make one but I have a couple of leather tankards - they are pitch sealed though so good only for cold drink (e.g. BEER) :D

Happy to bung some photos up if they help

Would be great if you could Red!

What is Beer? ;)

Gailainne

Life Member
Was'nt pitch used to seal navy tankards, jacks I think ?.

I'll have to ask my dad I'm sure he has or used to have one that was made for him a long time ago. I have memories of playing with it as a kid, the pitch wasnt hard it was pliable, not sticky but almost like paint not quite gone off....rambling now.

Anyway interesting project please let us know how you get on, lots of piccys :D

Regards

Stephen

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pignut said:
Would be great if you could Red!

What is Beer? ;)

Tried to show the seams and handles for you

HTH

437836861_843346c11b_b.jpg

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Generally its only homemade organic bitter or golden ale mate...although they were pressed to mulled mead once :eek:

Don't get me started on showing cups, goblets and tankards - I do like "odd" ones - I have steel wine glasses, horn tankards and ceramic goblets to name but a few :D

Red

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
That is a true bute!

MMMMmmmm might try it without the handle

Get some pics up Red love to see beer recepticles

British Red said:
Generally its only homemade organic bitter or golden ale mate...although they were pressed to mulled mead once :eek:

Don't get me started on showing cups, goblets and tankards - I do like "odd" ones - I have steel wine glasses, horn tankards and ceramic goblets to name but a few :D

Red

Gailainne

Life Member
Red

That looks almost exactly like the one my dad had/has, guess it was a pretty standard design.

Goblets, lol my dad has a real thing for Drambuie, and hates to part with it, so for his 50th, a looooong time ago I got him a set of 6 Sterling silver with gold on the inside goblets, about 2 thimble fulls worth, alright maybe four...but small, he loved them, fills them to the brim and passes them out with a smile on his face :lmao:

Regards

Stephen

Gailainne

Life Member
Nice one Red

I spent a week in Aberdeen once, and had on occassion had a small refresher in a pub called the "tappit hen" which I was told was a measure, dont know the size, but the measure was made in a very small tankard, made from pewter.

Is the wood chalice cherry ? lovely piece of wood what ever it is.

Regards

Stephen

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Thanks for the pics Red love the horn one!

Enough wax to dip a finnished leather tankard in!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE