Leather Bottle / Hip Flask

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
After seeing pics of Bardsters excellent work I thought I'd give a leather bottle a go. It turned out quite well, although it is a little smaller than I'd anticipated at only 50ml - I'll just have to make sure it's full of the strong stuff!

Thanks to Bard for his inspiration here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=9790

and thanks to Grooveski for the beeswax - have a rep point each!

bottle.jpg

BottleHand.jpg

I was most worried about the waxing, but it went pretty well. The leather is fairly thin - about 2mm, I melted the wax in the oven at about 110 to 130 deg C then spooned it over the bottle which I had also warmed up for a minute or two in the oven.
I poured some wax inside and swilled it around before pouring it out and putting the whole lot back in the oven for another 5 mins or so. I propped the bottle up neck down so that the excess wax could run out, but did it a bit too much as it leaked like a sieve first time!
I had to re-melt the wax and pour some more inside to coat it, now it's fine - and quite strong as well.

Grimnir

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
Northants
Respect is due :D very nice!

This has made me think - can I make one of those? Imagine that for a mead bottle! Well, next time I get some leather...

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Nice one! excellent job :)
And for all those others who want to try - full instructions ( with pictures) are in the latest BCUK magazine - so go buy it!!

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Thats a nice piece of work there Big John. What with Bardsters excellent tutorial piece and this for inspiration I realise that if I ever get "time off" from making knife sheaths for folks I'm just going to have to have a go at one of these.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
That's tidy! Like the design :).

Got round to packing mine out last week but haven't waxed it yet. Bit wary after destroying my sheath(too hot - waaay too hot!:rolleyes: ) a couple of weeks ago.

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Thanks Guys,

It was pretty easy really so I'd encourage anyone to give it a go - and I'll definately be making a bigger one - using a similarly shaped plastic bottle as a size template!

As for the waxing, it was just melted really, no hotter. I'm not sure what the melting point of beeswax is, around 90 to 100 deg C I would think, I upped the oven to 130 to get it melted quicker then lowered it back to 110 to keep it melted.

I did try it with hot water as I'd read somewhere that you can use water as well - but it just shrivelled up instantly - was I glad I tried a sample piece first ;) !!

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Thanks Guys,

It was pretty easy really so I'd encourage anyone to give it a go - and I'll definately be making a bigger one - using a similarly shaped plastic bottle as a size template!

As for the waxing, it was just melted really, no hotter. I'm not sure what the melting point of beeswax is, around 90 to 100 deg C I would think, I upped the oven to 130 to get it melted quicker then lowered it back to 110 to keep it melted.

I did try it with hot water as I'd read somewhere that you can use water as well - but it just shrivelled up instantly - was I glad I tried a sample piece first ;) !!

I think the melting point of beeswax is 64C.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE