leafy parcel type things

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
hey everyone,good break? :-D , i was here the other day http://www.wildlifetrust.org.uk/suffolk/nr/sites/brad.htm and in the trees were loads of leaves that were wrapped in a long twisted conical shape still attatched to the trees ,does anyone know what they are ? they looked like (i`m guessing) they housed some sort of insect,but the ones i looked at were empty,cheers al ps ive said this before but if any one is in the suffolk area they should go check out these woods and the craft that goes on in them

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Al,

I have seen similar things about an inch long suspended from branches as well as laid along them, made up of small twigs and leaves all held together with some gum. The best guess I could make is that they are cocoons for butterfly/moths, more than likely moths due to their size.

As moths and butterflies are now appearing this might be the answer.

Come on guys.

JFW

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Moths or butterflies in the chrysalis stage would be my guess - some of them do create very odd structures in which to live in.

I'm meeting up with a moth/butterfly expert from the Wildlife Trust this weekend so I'll ask for you.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I asked for you and yes, it is likely that it was the pupae of a moth. Which kind is hard to tell without seeing it - there are lots of species of moth!!!! Just two light traps last night attracted hundreds of moths from dozens of species! Amazing!

Sid

Apr 20, 2004
Essex
Don't think it's the same but i've had creatures that look like mealy worms but prob caterpillars, hatching from webs spun round the leaves of my apple tree this year. I' ve had the tree for about 8 years and never seen it before. I have seen it on other fruit trees nearby this year too. They have all dissappeared now but don't seem to have bored into the apples which I expected! Perhaps the birds had a feast! Think the creature that layed them was airbourne as i have sticky tape at the trunk.

Sid

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
They probably laid their eggs on your developing apples,If its the moths I know the little sods seem to get into the apples near the woody bit that connects the fruit to the tree. you dont know they're there til you find half of one in your apple. :-D

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
We found a leaf with a spun parcel inside a couple of weeks back. It was on a branch that we'd pruned, so we dissected it and there was a pupa inside. We figured it was a moth species and probably dead, but one of the kids put it in a pot and it's just hatched out. It looks more like a wasp as it has a stripey abdomen.

Amazing that it survived despite our invasion of its home... :icon_redf :-D

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Here's a picture of the little fella before we let him go ...

waspy.jpg

(Oh they grow up so fast! :-D )

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Yeah they called him waspy! :roll: I haven't found him in a book yet - still looking! Should have put a scale on the picture! He was I suppose about 8mm long...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE