Layout of personal camp space

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
i am debating making myself a wee ditty bag like the one described by nessmuk to put my random junk in and then hang this next to my pack when setting up, invariably i want certain bits more regularly than others and i think this could stop me having to search through a bigger pack

i tend to use a swedish gas mask bag for my day to day bits and pieces, binos, camera, fags etc, this hangs on the rucksack tripod too.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Elines, I'm with you all the way - no matter my intentions on setting out, everything ends up in the heap that other folks know is mine - its spreading to the house now as well. My justification for having so much kit (just ask those who have visited) is that only about 80% of it is in circulation at any one time! Occasionally something will surface while something else will fade into obscurity for a while!

I really would like to get more organised - maybe even trim down the amount of kit I have.

However it would seem that I just cannot make the transition!

ATB

Ogri the trog

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks Ogri - I was beginning to think that I was the only person that goes camping who was not superbly disciplined.

Thanks also to the others who have made specific suggestions on such things as practices, things to support the practices and how to get a better level of self discipline.

Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
More pictures are always welcome - maybe like this:

WeeJockhammocking.jpg

(Copied from John Fenna's 'Wee Jock McFenna' thread http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=84784

When I go out, I have to admit I take loads of stuff, guess I like my creature comforts.

I pack away all my gear when I'm not using it, I do leave my bedding in my hammock and Keep my tarp up, I raise one of the sides to give me an admin area for during the day.

I have an IPK sheet which I use as a ground sheet under my tarp.
I drag kit out of Bergen on here, then put it back when I have what I want, then I put the Item back when I'm finished using it.
Yes, it's tedious and I get an@l with it which occasionally annoys my company.
However, I always know where my kit is at, and I can find any item in the dark, which can be handy.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I use a mesh hammock slung under my main one for stashing kit in the dry - good for putting your boots in when you go to bed

For stuff I use a lot, I carry a gas mask bag/satchel - useful on the group meets when you're often sitting a little way away from your basha

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Take a clear bin liner with you, put all your 'loose' stuff in there. As the bag is clear you can see whats inside and it won't be mistaken for rubbish (and its waterproof).

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I leave my kit lying around in non systematic chaos and find it using the "where the **** is that stupid ******* thing?" repeated several times (or more if at night time aided by an insufficient head torch or similar).

The fun is increased further whilst attempting to locate items in the dark using a candle lantern. Strangely, I always seem able to find the loose kit lying around my doss space when returning from the fire side very late at night / early in the morning by using a spiralling technique with sporadic sideways movement to fully ensure the items are located.

Again rather strangely, by the time I wake in the morning some bugger has moved them all again so that they cannot be located, drunk all of my booze and left an unpleasant taste in my mouth!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Oh heck!
I seem to be in a minority of an@l organisers!
The hammock goes up with mat and sleeping bag inside, the cloak is hung with the poncho on the hammock lines at one (when not worn), food and cooking gear is in the wannigan next to my chair, spare clothing and P bottle in the hammock above the head end (to be joined by the head torch when retired for the night - the torch is either in the wannigan or my pocket until then) goup 1st Aid kit is on a tripod under the tarp and is joined by my clothing when I go to bed. My wash kit is in a stuff sack or blackberry basket or leather case on a pole between 2 tripods along with other baskets of small items on long camps - the pole is positioned down the side of the tarp parrallel to the hammock.
Bergans hold tools and sharps out of view and hang from a tripod.
Craft tools live in baskets that hang on the tripod pole or in the bergan.
Water is in jugs/bottles in a canvas bag by the cook area or my chair or under the tarp.
Spare torch in pocket, knife around neck or on belt next to my sporran pouch that holds a small FAK, flint and steel, whistle etc
Pockets take the rest of my kit.
On long camps most of my spare kit will live in drybags in the bergan.
On realy long camps like the Moot then the van acts as a resupply base so I do not have too much kit around and my craft materials are secured.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Oh, I know all the theory, immediate use kit on my person, day stuff - ready to hand, sleeping kit ready and waiting, bergan stacked and ready to roll and base camp and resupply there for when it is needed.

The truth of the matter is that within 20 minutes of arriving on site - it all blends into a homogeneous heap with food-stores happily interacting with spare clothing and sharps endlessly arguing with the navigation gear.

Maybe the spirits find my actions to be amusing - not the liquid ones, though they do play their part on occasion!

Ogri the trog

I usually use a tripod to keep my pack and jacket on. But I am thinking for the next long trip to make 2 tripods (or 1 tripod and a forked stick) with a cross bar going between them and then I can hang my dry bags from their with one for wash kit, one for clothes, the cook kit can hang with the handy hook (Swedish army cookset).

On shorter trips or if I can't find suitable sticks I just use a single stick driven into the ground and lean my bag against in the hope that it will hold and then organise all mys stuff in the bag.

Inside my DD Hammock I have an internal ridgeline which I use to hang my torch and a small fleece drawstring pouch which I can put the small bits and bobs into from my pockets so they don't fall out.

I havent used the pocket in the DD hammock in a while since I lost my head torch in there for a few months.

I have been known to be messyespecially when I am rushing about and leaving my cook kit here, bits and bobs there etc. But hopefully I can sort that out this year and be a bit more organised.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I try to be organised an keep stuff in it's place. I've found it is much easier to put stuff away, even if it is in a pocket or somewhere else you don't usually keep it, as a 5min 'self frisk' is better than 20 min looking through the undergrowth for that thing your sure you put down just there only a second ago.

I find it alot easier to be more organised if I'm on my own as there is only my stuff and I know where it should go. If however the kids come along it can get a bit on the unorganised side particularly if I've got to drop everything and make sure they'll not break their neck falling out of that big tree, or go and get drowned in that river....

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Tent up, sleeping mat and bag on far side of tent (side entrance), cooking gear outside between inner and outer, food inside next to water bladder on right of entrance, rucksack to left at foot of sleeping bag. Incidentals (head torch, batteries, wallet, keys, fire kit and a whole load of useful gubbins) in the form of a response pack comes with me everywhere I go and up behind my head when I'm asleep.
Zippo in left zipped front pocket, SAK in the right.
At night glasses in left most netted pocket (little hammock above my head - fellow Banshee 200 owners know!), phone/alarm in right most. Head torch hung from same... although when I've used this repeated placement for everything the last 12-18 months, you get to know where stuff is in the dark ;)

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks for all the constructive comments - there is some good stuff. i will try to pull it together in one post for ease of reference.
In the meantime just to give you some idea of why any advice along the lines of 'exert more discipline'/'put things away when you have finished with them' is not going to get me very far (I accept it may work for others :)), here is a picture of the desk I am sitting at at the moment (and it is not a pretty sight):
CIMG6631.JPG

CIMG6632.JPG

CIMG6633.JPG

Did I mention that I am not a very tidy person??

Or that I have never been in the forces??

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....Or that I have never been in the forces??

well there's your problem then chris, complete lack of self discipline, you 'orrible little man :)

if it makes you feel any better, martin (22 years in the military i believe), was so well organised at the weekend that he managed to lose half a stove. losing a whole stove, fine, not losing a stove, even better, but losing half a stove, that takes somome skill

stuart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE