Lavvu - Heat baffle for for frontier stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 27, 2008
Cambridge
I put up my new lavvu saturday and tried out my frontier stove. I was work, real hard work as its the biggest tent I have ever had. I am used to Banshee 200, 2 person tents. When finally up, we got the stove in. It was clear we needed to use the spark arrester guys to stabilse the flue. At these lengths the chimney gets wobbly.

We guyed the chimney down and nervously fired up the stove. It got hot, real quick. It was amazing we didn't burn the top of the tent. Now I realise we need to get a heat baffle or something around the top so when it touches the side it doesn't torch the tent. I am really surprised you can't buy these off the peg considering a lot of sales must be for lavvu/tipi running it out the top.

How have other people solved this problem? Any advice greatly appreciated.
11389817283_8ea371eb8d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I had a very windy night and the tent billowed and bashed about. I am amazed it didn't take off. I held my ground as worse come to worse I go indoors to my warm bed. The fire went out and too frightened to fire it up given the heat traveling up the chimney I left it out. Which meant for a chilly night.

The next day, lots of condensation, lots of rain on the outside of the tent and it rained when I was taking it down. So its all drying out in my garage now. Not a great first go but I was planning to go to some woods and do all of this alone. Without help and without easy location I would have struggled and been quite PO'd!

But its all a learning curve though and practice now will make acquired skill later.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
We use chicken wire about an inch bigger than the flue for ours, works a treat, light weight too. We have a Tentipi Safir 5CP so the flue isn't as long (auto correct changed it to LNG???) on ours, should work fine on yours though :).

Hope this helps :).

Last edited:

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
you would really benifit from using or making a stack robber to contain alot of heat to stop it leaving the chimney.
you can make it out of tubing say around 100mm and have it say 2-300mm long lay it horizontal and make spiggots so it fits the woodstove and then the chimney fits on top, inside you can attach a flat plate with with angle mesh to catch the embers but also this then burns the secondary smoke fuel so it becomes efficiant and the heat is contained there to expel into the tent rather than up the chimney, i have nearly finished my fire and robber so will do a full description but boy does it make a difference in my first tests
ps great lavvu and i hope to get my first soon after doing a swap for one ,can't wait atb wayne,

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I've got a canvas bell tent with a stove.its called a soul pad.you can buy the collar for the chimney on their website.i fitted mine to the tent it's dead easy

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
You could use a large catering bean tin or maybe a cleaned out paint pot, with a couple of bolts through you can fasten it around the area of pipe that's in contact with the tent fabric. My Helsport uses this idea, the heatshield piece also has another collar inside which can slide up making the whole thing even longer.

I took these pics a couple of years ago but they show the collar arrangement ...

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Flipping eck I really like that wats it like to set up ? That's ace

Sorry for thread nicking.its a peice of **** set up just one pole in the middle.i can have tent up in less than ten mins n stove set ups about 15 on top of that.its been a top buy while little'ns been growing up.i want do Christmas in snow in it one year.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
It ain't cheap tent go on their website soul pads .I paid about 850 for everything tent,stove and flue.yeah it stung a bit but everything's well made n I 'll never sell it.been away loads in it already so it's already paid for its self.like I said I wanna do crimbo in it one year.pm me for details if yer want pal this guys gonna go nuts if we keep yapping on his thread

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Is that a chandelier ha some glam ping going on.they really are home from homes better than any caravan.dont get me wrong I love I night up in hills in mi bivi but I also like a night sat in mi duds next too mi little log burner supping vino

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
yep :) a chandalier and a full size king size double bed :) carpets on the floor, fridge for the beer and wine, full safari camp kitchen, + BBQ.......man, we are talking Glamping :)

everyone that walked past wanted to come in and have a look :)

thouroghly enjoyable and would recommend to anyone.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE