Latest Knife and my first sitck tang/scandi

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
stick1.jpg

Sorry for the poor photo but I have not had chance to photo out side and these are phone shots.

Well its about a 125mm blade, it my first stick tang so it a production blade rather than one I have made myself. It curly birch, leather and reindeer antler handle and I have left the butt quite 'rustic' because I think it looks better.

You might think the handle looks a bit chunky but as you will see I have got rather large hands.

stick3.jpg

I have still got to make the sheath but that is my dilemma. I have only ever made
woodlore
and western style sheath ( I will post some pics at a more
sensible
hours) but have never made a
scandi
style sheath so am not sure what to go with.

Any idea's?

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Nice job Christopher, For scandi sheath advice check out the tutorials (I think Tividir wrote it) on British Blades.
Good luck. Its a bit time consuming but makes a nice sheath.

Willderness

Tenderfoot
Aug 16, 2009
UK / UAE
When I make a scandi sheath I always make an insert using plywood:

Cut 3 pieces of plywood approx 2"x5" (adjust for blade size). Use plywood at least as thick as your blade in width.
On one piece lay the blade flush against the end and draw around it, then cut it out (Save the cut-out).
Then epoxy the 3 pieces together (careful not to use too much epoxy or it will ooze into the blade-slot and the blade won't fit in).
Once that's dried I trace around the blade again where I estimate the slot is inside the plywood sandwich, then epoxy the cut-out onto the sandwich (with plenty of epoxy and let it ooze out, let it dry like that)
Then I cut the sandwich to shape leaving at least 2mm from the blade cavity. I then smooth it off using a grinding wheel but you can use sanding paper.
The cut-out piece is for decoration - sand the sides down flush, leaving a ridge in the middle which curves around to the tip of the blade (looking from above). The surplus epoxy is in case the cut-out is not big enough to offer a smooth slope to the edge of the insert.
I apply a bit of oil for water-resistance.

I hope that makes senses to you! It makes a more professional looking sheath and protects the leather from the blade

Good luck, show us the outcome.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE